Been away from brewing for a while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

Been a while. A little over a year ago, my wife and I purchased an older house (a foreclosure) and have spent most of the time since remodeling it. Between that, and the frustrations that I had been having with brewing (see threads below), I didn't have much time nor ambition to brew much.

I had been struggling with a strange off-flavor that I couldn't nail down. To be honest, I never found it - I have brewed a few more since the "Experiment", including just doing some extract brews, and all of the lighter beers still have that strange off-flavor (that I can't seem to explain - I used to call it "salty/mineral", but I don't think that is the right explanation - all I know is that I don't like it). Here is one of the threads that went into it a bit, if you are interested:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=509007

However, in the course of all of this, I had several friends try my lighter color beers and really like them. So, I just sort of thought that someday I might get back into hunting that down and get back into brewing again.

Well, things have started slowing down with the house finally, and winter is coming. My stouts and darker beers have always been solid, so I am excited to have ordered some material for a stout and an Irish Red. I will pursue the lighter stuff later. But, for now, I am glad to be back!

Cheers!

:mug:

Nice! I had a period of slow/no brewing for a while. Just seemed there was too many things going on that were more important and the joy just wasn't in it.

I managed to turn my attitude around and decide if I am going to brew, I needed to just brew and enjoy it and let some other things slide for a day (or half a day, as the case may be). It was good to be back at it!

Welcome back.

I'm on a hiatus right now getting ready for a move. I look forward to brewing in November for the first time in about a year. I will probably do a double brew day the first chance I get.

Back