Been A while since I have been here and have a Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don "Ho"

Reaction score
I was just starting to get serious on my mead making, when life got in the way. Well things have gotten back where I can start again.

I was getting into the closet that I used to clean it out and discovered two(2) gallons of mead. The airlocks are dry. :smack:

I have no idea how long they have been that way, but I did mark the bottles as when I racked them and both have been in the bottle since 2009. :eek:

My question is what should I do with them? Throw out or try to do something them?

Thanks

I'll give a different answer...smell and then taste :0) Seriously, despite the dry airlocks they could be really good at this point. There should be enough alcohol, unless you made them low abv, to kill a wide variety of the things that could have gotten in over the years.

Smelled good and did a taste test.

Both are cloudy, one more so. Both have the alcohol bite.

Neither had any real flavor that I would describe as good or interesting.

I have thought about re-racking and maybe try some clearing agent, but not sure. Not sure if the cloudiness may be causing the flavor issues.

Looking for everyone's ideas / suggestions.

Don "Ho"

Higher levels of yeast in suspension can throw some off flavors. If it has no other flavor after 5 years, you may want to think about adding some spices or fruits, and after that clarify (if it's not clear after that long it likely needs some love).

Measured the Gravity today and it read 1.017 after correcting for temp.
I also mesured the PH with strips that measue no lower than 4.5
I am guessing I dont have the right test strips as there was no change in color.
(On a side note, I have a ph testing kit for my fresh water aquarium, any know if I can use that to test my mead?)

I am thinking to using sparkoloid to clear up the mead. When that has finished to rack onto a mixture of vanilla beans and Cinnamon.

Can the PH be to low and if so what can I do to increase the PH at this time?

Thanks

Don "Ho";5856294 said:
Measured the Gravity today and it read 1.017 after correcting for temp.
I also mesured the PH with strips that measue no lower than 4.5
I am guessing I dont have the right test strips as there was no change in color.
(On a side note, I have a ph testing kit for my fresh water aquarium, any know if I can use that to test my mead?)

I am thinking to using sparkoloid to clear up the mead. When that has finished to rack onto a mixture of vanilla beans and Cinnamon.

Can the PH be to low and if so what can I do to increase the PH at this time?

Thanks

Acceptable ph is around 3.5 - 4.5, so it could very well be fine, and below your strips range. But that is usually in regards to keeping your yeast happy. Are you planning on restarting the fermentation?

Are you planning on restarting the fermentation?[/QUOTE said:
Hadn't thought about. Are you suggesting that I try that? I am a complete novice at this.

Don "Ho";5859798 said:
Hadn't thought about. Are you suggesting that I try that? I am a complete novice at this.

It's a coin toss. Fermenting it further would also require further aging though fruit and or honey with a secondary fermentation may help the flavor. If I were going to go through that trouble, and since there was a long period of storage/aging with (even if very slightly) possibility of oxidation and/or VOC off-gassing (which could be where all the flavor went) I would make this one tasty enough to enjoy through flavorings/acidity/sweetening, and start another batch.

More to the point of my asking, I wouldn't worry about ph unless you are planning on fermenting it further. If you are just going to flavor and continue aging it, taste/mouthfeel/aroma are more or less all that matter.

Back