Been a long time... Places that sell 3 gallon kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have been away for a very long time. Looking to get back into things but due to moving to a cramped apartment I only have room to do 3 gallon batches. anyone know of places that I could purchase 3 gallon recipe kits?

As i understand it my biggest factor as I can scale any recipe down to 3, is going to be the yeast since they come in pre-measured packs any ideas or tips to get around that?

thanks in advance for the assistance

Except for mr beer, there really aren't 3 gallon (or 2.5 gallon more likely since it's half of 5 gallons, and equals 1 case of beer) but many of us just brew them.

In terms of yeast, I either split a packet of dry yeast in half and stick the rest in the fridge, or use the whole thing.

In terms of liquid, since a tube or smack pack isn't really enough yeast for a 5 gallon batch of beer with an og above 1.030 (according to mr malty) for most small batches of beer with normal gravities, just using the whole smack pack or tube is fine....then just wash and harvest the yeast for re-use.

Speaking of the 2.5 gallon batches. Has anyone seen a place with 3 gallon buckets that would be great for brewing a 5 gallon batch, but then splitting into two different 3 gallon buckets for fermenting? I'd like to try experimenting a little more and dont want to do that with a whole 5 gallon batch if I don't have to. Maybe dry hop in one of the buckets, maybe even let one of the buckets ferment 5 degrees warmer than the other. Just trying to nail down some different techniques to see what I prefer.

Thanks

Hey everyone I have been away for a very long time. Looking to get back into things but due to moving to a cramped apartment I only have room to do 3 gallon batches. anyone know of places that I could purchase 3 gallon recipe kits?

As i understand it my biggest factor as I can scale any recipe down to 3, is going to be the yeast since they come in pre-measured packs any ideas or tips to get around that?

thanks in advance for the assistance

Brew builder from brewmasterswarehouse.com for grains and hops. The brew builder allows you to scale the recipe up or down. If you're looking for a specific recipe or clone, kick them an email or call them.

Imo, Direct pitch a smack pack, no starter, for yeast.

This should get you where you'd like to go.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Brew builder from brewmasterswarehouse.com for grains and hops. The brew builder allows you to scale the recipe up or down.

Just curious if im crazy, I just tried to scale a recipe down to play with it and the price stayed the same, would the price for 3 vs 5 go up or down?

Perhaps they don't for their pre-built recipes.

Speaking of the 2.5 gallon batches. Has anyone seen a place with 3 gallon buckets that would be great for brewing a 5 gallon batch, but then splitting into two different 3 gallon buckets for fermenting? I'd like to try experimenting a little more and dont want to do that with a whole 5 gallon batch if I don't have to. Maybe dry hop in one of the buckets, maybe even let one of the buckets ferment 5 degrees warmer than the other. Just trying to nail down some different techniques to see what I prefer.

Thanks

I use three gallon better bottles or water jugs if the have a <1> or <2> recycling code. You can also get some 3 gallon frosting buckets from the bakery section of your grocery store.

And the best thing is to pick up some of those Mr beer fermenters from garage sales. They're great for 2.5 gallon batches because they have a low profile, and you can even lager in a fridge with them.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Just curious if im crazy, I just tried to scale a recipe down to play with it and the price stayed the same, would the price for 3 vs 5 go up or down?

Perhaps they don't for their pre-built recipes.

The brew builder allows you to purchase both grains and hops by the ounce. IIRC, this also includes both DME and LME. I'd think the price would go down when scaling down the recipe. Make sure you update the quantity when making your adjustment.?.

Check out Beersmith! You can make whatever size batch you want and it will give the approximate gravity, bitterness etc for that style.

Simple to use for extract and you can order the amount you need from any online store.

Or scale a printed recipe in percentages and order the amounts you need.

5 gallon food grade buckets should work fine for a primary. Cheap and easy to find.

Back