Beef Chuck... now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We purchased a 1/4 cow from our local farm.
Most of the cuts of meat are simple enough, Sirloin, tenderloin, groundbeef, etc.
All that 's good and been cooking up nicely.

Now we are looking at several roasts labeled "Chuck Roast". We could always make a stew out of them, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Does anyone have a better way to cook these up? I have a gas grill and would like to somehow use that. Hell, if I can make a turkey on this thing, I should be able to cook up some beef. But I got no recipe to use. Help?

Does not have to be a grill recipe, but just not pot roast.

Beef chuck is not something you would want to grill. You'll end up with jerky. Though, chuck does make for a decent bbq brisket if cooked low and slow/ or in the smoker.

My half of a half of beef (no, not a quarter) fell through recently. The butcher closed up shop the week before my meat was to be hung. Now I have an empty freezer :(

My parents always get their chuck roasts ground into ground beef. They could never find anything they like to do with them! Always came out tough or they would slow cook it and it would be dry.

You could also grind it up for your own hamburgers, of course do a stew, or put it in the oven for several hours for a roast.

Bulgogi - Korean BBQ. While still nearly frozen, slice it up into thin slices and find a recipe on-line. There should be plenty. It is a very common dish. It is a great use for Chuck. I have one in my freezer that I will be doing this to shortly.

Beef chuck is not something you would want to grill. You'll end up with jerky. Though, chuck does make for a decent bbq brisket if cooked low and slow/ or in the smoker.
I beg to differ. Chuck is also known as "poor mans ribeye". It is usually marbled quite well and with a simple Italian dressing marinade it grills up tender and juicy.

check it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ59OJegy94]YouTube - Good Eats S4E7P1: A Chuck For Chuck[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg to differ. Chuck is also known as "poor mans ribeye". It is usually marbled quite well and with a simple Italian dressing marinade it grills up tender and juicy.

There is a chuck steak that is very close to the rib eye. This can be grilled, but most of it is better suited for chili and such. Wet cooking is best as has been mentioned. One grill method is to put roasts in heavy foil with seasoning. Cook it slow with lid down until near tender. Then open foil, add beer and sauce, and smoke with foil open for a another hour or so.

Also the best cut for burgers in my opinion. Half sirloin/half chuck good too.

Back