Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well long brew day w/kids stuff and company mixed in. Just pitched the yeast on this so will post back with results. OG a tad low at 1.060.

any opinions on what this would taste like if i kept the grain bill and yeast the same, but used all falconer's flight for hops?
i'm tempted to try this tomorrow

Just over 3 weeks old and a week on gas, I rushed this beer to free up my fermentation chamber. It's still a little green but not bad I got anxious and pulled a draft, this was poured via a Guinness Stout Tap using CO2.

Nicely done! Give it some time to mature and let us know how it is then.

Eight days in primary so far, airlock almost totally inactive at this point. Have had at a steady 65 - 66 in swamp cooler despite heatwave. Will be letting sit in primary (alongside another beer brewed same day) for a total of 3 weeks, then bottle. Any recs on vols CO2 for priming? Really looking forward to this one.:)

3 Week primary, 2 weeks in bottles, last 48 hrs in fridge = delicious. Spicy, malty, just like Edwort described. Sorry for poor photo - its an old phone. If its this good now I can't imagine what it will be like in the coming weeks.

IMG_0603.jpg

Was hoping to brew this over the weekend, but it didn't happen. Looks like my starter will have to hang out in the fridge until next weekend.

It's been going "blub blub blub" since early yesterday morning (brewed Friday night). OG was 1.072 so a little high, but who doesn't like a little extra gravity??

It's been going "blub blub blub" since early yesterday morning (brewed Friday night). OG was 1.072 so a little high, but who doesn't like a little extra gravity??

Nice. Had one of these last night and it really does seem to evolve beautifully in the bottle. Spicy yet smooth - its a unique and delicious IPA. Fantastic the way it is, yet I wouldn't even mind a touch more aroma from a dry hop just to build on an already great beer. This was my first experience with first wort hopping and I'm sold. Mine has really cleared up also. Thanks EdWort!

Tasty! Can use some time in the keg to clear though. Been on gas for about a week. It's also my first beer in the keezer so I think I need to tune my line length. It's 10' now, but I think that's a little too long maybe. Probably cut a couple feet off and see what happens.

image-736067915.jpg

I brewed this on Sunday with a few changes (mostly due to ingredients I had on hand at the time) and it came in around 1.080. I used Vienna instead of Munich, FWH with Cluster and Mosaic instead of Chinook for the boil hops. I also plan on dry hopping with Mosaic...I will post an update when I tap it :mug:

Just to follow up on my previous post, I tapped my version of this recipe a few days ago and it turned out great! I really like the pairing of Mosaic with the spiciness of the rye in this beer. My friend (who is a total IPA snob) was blown away when he tried it. He kept downing pint after pint and even texted me the next day letting me know he couldn't stop thinking about how good it is and wants more!

I haven't brewed the original recipe to compare the two but if you have some Mosaic on hand and feel like giving my tweeks a try I guarantee you won't regret it.

Thanks again Ed for the recipe :mug:

Following up also to say this is a phenomenal and unique beer. So smooth, with the rye and chinook playing so well together. This beer is an indulgence every time I have one. Mine is super clear also, may have to attach a pic next time I get a chance. Wow, just a great beer that I will certainly brew again.

Just brewed this with a modified hop bill including Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo. Thinking about dry hopping with simcoe, columbus, and amarillo. Primary smells amazing! I'll definitely post results when it's done.

Brewed this today. Threw in a round of Cascade and Citra, just because I find Chinook to be a little too much for me in the suggested dosages. Had a hell of a time with a slow sparge though and it definitely affected my efficiency on this. Was about 5 points low, but that's not really a big deal as I have 2 other pretty high ABV beers on tap now, so it hopefully will still be good on taste.

I'll let you know in a few weeks how this turned out.

I bought a pound of mosaic pellets from farmhouse brewing supplies awhile back. Probably going to buy another lb or 2 soon...my favorite new hop by far

Has anyone entered this into a competition? I brewed it with a totally different west coast style hopburst hop schedule and it's amazing! Extremely hoppy, maybe with a little rye coming through, but not too much. Not sure if it should go into category 14B (American IPA) or 23 (specialty beer). Any input appreciated.

Planning on brewing this, and looking forward to it! Can anyone that's brewed it already tell me why it's a 90 minute boil? Is it just to get the OG up or is there another reason? Thanks!

Planning on brewing this, and looking forward to it! Can anyone that's brewed it already tell me why it's a 90 minute boil? Is it just to get the OG up or is there another reason? Thanks!

I posted slight recipe variation using a 60 min boil in Post #185 of this thread. The result was great and it on my list to brew again.

My cluster/mosaic version of this recipe using dennys favorite yeast came in first place for the imperial ipa category at the war of the worts competition this weekend! Thanks again for this awesome recipe!

Sounds like a great recipe to try my first rye beer with.
I don't have any Chinook though - how would Nugget be instead?
I do have 2oz of Mosaic though - better to try that?

Hi All,
10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

As I don’t get to brew a lot I was thinking of brewing 10 gallons instead of 5 of this.
However after mashing splitting it into two 5 gallon batches so that I have two different beers.
Foe the second beer I was thinking of a Saison with a Saison yeast and some noble(like) hops; one or two from Fuggles, Saaz, EKG, Styrian Golding, Aurora. However maybe it would end up too sweet with the crystal in there.
Anyone got any other suggestions for a different type of beer I could use the wort from this grain bill?
Thanks!

My cluster/mosaic version of this recipe using dennys favorite yeast came in first place for the imperial ipa category at the war of the worts competition this weekend! Thanks again for this awesome recipe!

Congratualtions!

I’m interested in trying this with Mosaic this weekend but I don’t have any Cluster.

Could I use, Tettnang like the original recipe or Nugget?

I also have:

Super Styrian, Mount Hood, Northern Brewer, Belma, Target, Taurus, Summit, Saaz, EKG, Styrian, Challenger, Magnum, Citra, Cascade, Amarillo, Falconer’s Flight, Mittelfrueh, and Centennial

Thanks!

Congratualtions!

I’m interested in trying this with Mosaic this weekend but I don’t have any Cluster.

Could I use, Tettnang like the original recipe or Nugget?

I also have:

Super Styrian, Mount Hood, Northern Brewer, Belma, Target, Taurus, Summit, Saaz, EKG, Styrian, Challenger, Magnum, Citra, Cascade, Amarillo, Falconer’s Flight, Mittelfrueh, and Centennial

Thanks!

Thanks it really is an awesome beer!

I have used Nugget as my bittering charge with Mosaic in the past with great results so I would recommend going with that.

Good luck!

Thanks it really is an awesome beer!

I have used Nugget as my bittering charge with Mosaic in the past with great results so I would recommend going with that.

Good luck!

Great, Nugget it is then :tank:

I'm going to split a 10 gallon batch, 5 gallons with Nugget/Mosaic and US-05
The other 5 with Taurus for bittering and Amarillo/Strisselspalt for flavour/aroma and Possibly 1lb honey or sugar syrup at 5mins with Belle Saison dry yeast. Can't wait :ban:

I followed the recipe, kegged and carbed. The beer tastes good but it has bubblegum in the nose. Kinda an off putting scent to me. Not sure if that is normal with these hops or not. I dry hopped yesterday with 2oz of centennial to cover it up. With it being cold I upped the hops and was going to leave in for 3-4 days. Will that be long enough? This is my first time dry hopping a cold carbed beer. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Great, Nugget it is then :tank:

I'm going to split a 10 gallon batch, 5 gallons with Nugget/Mosaic and US-05
The other 5 with Taurus for bittering and Amarillo/Strisselspalt for flavour/aroma and Possibly 1lb honey or sugar syrup at 5mins with Belle Saison dry yeast. Can't wait :ban:

Just thinking this over again before I brew it on Monday.
Should it be?
0.3oz Nugget FHW
1oz Nugget 60min
0.5oz Mosaic 30min
0.5 Mosaic 5min

I have tettnanger so I can do 1oz of that instead of the Nugget for FHW
I also have 3oz of Mosaic so I can use more of that for the 5min addition.

AAAGGGHHHH! I just finished brewing this and I effed up! I got this recipe off the app on my phone, and now I see the first half of the recipe that is in bold was cut off. So I assumed it was a 5 gallon batch, not 5.5. I also added 1lb of 2 row Pils to make sure I hit the numbers. So I have a 5 gallon batch, actually a little less than 5 gallons, with a OG of 1.08, uh oh! And with the first part of the recipe cut off, it didn't show the yeast, so my LBS gave me a Munich wheat yeast packet, he said that would be good for a rye. Everything was going so great too. I sure hope it turns out OK:smack:

So I ordered some Cluster and am going to brew this tomorrow.
What should the hop schedule be?
I planned:
FHW – Cluster
60 min – Cluster
30 min – Mosaic
05 min – Mosaic

Is that correct?

Back