American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have almost finished the five gallon batch of this that I brewed. It was definitely an awesome beer. I brought 2 sixers of them to the local homebrew club meetup and one person told me that it was her favorite beer at the meeting!

Brewed this up a couple of days ago. I've been doing all grain BIAB batches now for about a year and definitely made a small mistake with this one - I forgot to continuously stir the malto dextrin addition and ended up scorching it a bit. Hopefully this won't have too much of an impact...

A question:

In working out the kinks with a new found efficiency, my OG was 1.079. While the beer is good, it's a little too robust and too alcoholic for my tastes.

It's been kegged for about a month, and I've considered trying to dilute the remainder (approx 4 gallons) with water. Any reason to not do this?

Thanks for any advice.

I would not dilute with water. Mine seemed to have an alcohol bite but it vanished after a month in the bottle. Why nit brew another

Sorry pulled trigger to fast. Why not brew another mild porter and blend to taste? Blending beer is actually pretty fun. You can experiment as well with blending other styles with the porter.

I have brewed this twice now, and it is by far my wife's favorite beer we've ever made. Really fantastic taste. Wish it was my own recipe but have to give credit where credit is due.
Thanks

Just brewed this up yesterday. First time using brewsmith and hit all my numbers right on, so i'm looking forward to it. I think i'll be splitting half of it onto chipotle peppers.

For this recipe. 5 gallon batch

You don't say?! I meant more along the lines of what type of system do you have, capacities, boiloff rate, etc.

I'm sorry, but If you can't figure out your mash and sparge volumes, I'm not sure you should be doing all grain. Have you ever done all grain? A small amount of research goes a long ways...

Very basically, I believe my mash was around 3.5 gallons and my sparge was around 4-4.5

I'm using a igloo conversion. I'm learning. I've done it twice and both times it turned out ok but that was a smaller grain bill. I'm just trying to ask those that know to make sure I am on track.

Well I'll jump in! I shoot for 5.5gal in fermenter. I have a high boil off rate, maybe cuz I live @ 6850 ft above sea level. The weather probably is effecting it as well (10% humidity). So I shoot for 7gal in boil kettle. My mash for this recipe was 8.5gal total, its usually a little thin. I also use a 10gal igloo cooler. Just pull as much mash liquor you need to get your required total. If you plug in your recipe to something like beer smith (or a free recipe calculator)it will help tremendously. I take a pre boil gravity readings as well. Hope this helps!

Are you just using regular Nottingham dry yeast? If so how much? Beersmith is telling me to rehydrate 2 packets

Want to brew this over the weekend. Anyone ever add coffee to the keg? I'm sure it's great how it is, but just trying to brew something up nice for fall other than my pumpkin and a coffee porter sounds great.

I added coffee. Cold brewed 8 heaping tablespoons with 16 Oz water in fridge for 24 hrs.

Well, my friends and I liked it. I used a kinda fruity etheopian bean. I would cut it back if you used espresso or French roast.

Brewing this tomorrow night. I am only doing a 6.5 gallon boil instead of 7 since that's really all my stove top can handle. Can I expect any difference in my OG? Beersmith calculates it at 1.070 and a FG of 1.016, 7.09%. Does this seem correct? Just want to make sure I have everything in right. Thanks!

I've been looking for a good pumpkin porter recipe. I've made Ed's pale ale a couple times and its been delicious!! Do you think I could just add pumpkin to the mash and add spices inthe boil to this or will it clash?? Thanks in advance! :mug:

I did this beer last fall as a Belgian, chocolate pumpkin porter... Turned out awesome!!! I changed the recipe slightly. I added two cans off real pumpkin like a first wort hop... It was superb! The pumpkin was more of a background subtleness... Added a richness to the beer. The Belgian characteristics added the spice. Great beer! Good luck!

Brewed a 1 gallon odd-ball version of this a couple weeks ago. I wanted to brew a Coffee, Chocolate, Cayenne stout or porter, and decided to use this guy as a base. Used S-04 instead of Notty, kept in a bath at 68-70, so I'm confident the fermentation temp stayed right around there. OG was at 1.072.

For 48 hours i soaked 1 oz. Whole Sumatran coffee beans, 1 oz. Cacao nibs and 1/4 tsp cayenne powder in around 1 oz. Of vodka. Let that mingle in the fridge for 48 hours and then tossed it in the primary. I just pulled a sample and it is tasty! The cayenne is just the slightest tingle on the back of your throat (I may add another 1/8-1/4 Tsp), theres a nice burnt character, the coffee aroma is very pleasant, but the taste lacking. I plan on cold brewing some coffee before bottling and adding that to taste. The cacao nibs leave an excellent finish. Great brew! Thanks for the recipe!

I did this beer last fall as a Belgian, chocolate pumpkin porter... Turned out awesome!!! I changed the recipe slightly. I added two cans off real pumpkin like a first wort hop... It was superb! The pumpkin was more of a background subtleness... Added a richness to the beer. The Belgian characteristics added the spice. Great beer! Good luck!

This sounds very interesting. Which yeast did you use?

Dang. I have never heard so much bubbling during fermentation. That notty is tearing it apart!!!! Sounds like a machine gun :)
Pics from brewday.

Robust1.jpg

Robust2.jpg

Dang. Kegged this today. Ended up with 5 gallons in the keg, and a six pack of bottles for competitions. I nailed my target OG of 1.070 and finished right at my FG of 1.016. Smells so incredible.

I've brewed a number of different recipes in my search for the best porter I could make. I would have missed this one if it hadn't been listed on the 100 Best list -- Thanks HBT! The only item I didn't have on hand was the Malto-dextrine so after a quick trip to the LHBS I brewed up a batch of this yesterday afternoon.

Both BrewTarget and Brewsmith told me the recipe as presented would produce an OG and ABV that were beyond style guidelines. With that in mind I chose to scale the 2 Row, C40 and chocolate malts back a bit. Other than that I tried to stay as true to the original recipe as possible. After only 3 hours from pitching the Notty I'm already seeing some krausen forming and the fermenting beer smells wonderful.

I'm looking forward to enjoying this on a cool October afternoon!

Cheers!
:mug:

Back