American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same poor head retention. I wonder if it's in the mash. I think I will add some carapils next time, just to try to get the beer to retain some head. Great taste, good carbonation, it does lace the glass, but it doesn't really build or retain any head to speak of.

After 5-6 weeks this beer is amazing! Only then all flavors and carbonation nicely blend in, before that its too Vienn'ie in flavor and aroma. I fermented it with Wyeast 1272 and its just awesome. I think next time I try to use 1 lb of Munich & 1 lb of Vienna instead for more complexity. Will brew this again next week.

What liquid yeast are you guys using for this? I plan to do an extract version very soon. I have some Rogue Wyeast Pacman and White Labs California Ale V WLP051 that I'll be washing from my currently fermenting batches. Either one of these sound like a good yeast to use??

Either one comes out good. I did a split batch with those two and 001/1056. General consensus was Pacman, then 051 then 001, but nobody disliked any of them.

I have been following this thread for a longtime now and I am finally brewing this tomorrow as my first batch after 2-3 years of not brewing! Plus this will be my first time trying BIAB...

I admittedly didn't read 200+ pages.....but is the beer really drinkable on 20 days via keg? I've been looking for a nice....easy drinking pale ale to steadily brew 5 gallons at a time and save my other carboy for elaborate brews like my IIPAs that I'd rather bottle instead. If its that quick that would be killer. Easy to keep a pipeline of this going if its only 20 days....

phoenixs4r said:
I admittedly didn't read 200+ pages.....but is the beer really drinkable on 20 days via keg? I've been looking for a nice....easy drinking pale ale to steadily brew 5 gallons at a time and save my other carboy for elaborate brews like my IIPAs that I'd rather bottle instead. If its that quick that would be killer. Easy to keep a pipeline of this going if its only 20 days....

You can drink it in 14 days from keg but its really good after 6 weeks. Much better!

Sent from GT-I9100M

Made another 10 gals of this yesterday. Will take half and make it non-alcoholic for the pregnant wife.

I've had this sitting in the primary for 8 days. I'm itching to bottle it. It hasn't been bubbling for the past 2 days. Thinking it might be done. Too soon?

inkman15 said:
I've had this sitting in the primary for 8 days. I'm itching to bottle it. It hasn't been bubbling for the past 2 days. Thinking it might be done. Too soon?

Did you take gravity readings?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

Just kegged this recipe from my first AG batch. Had to much boil-off which left me with 4.75g in the fermenter, but nailed the OG and FG. How did this happen?

Anyway, tastes and smells great. Thanks!

No Joke, I brewed this for the first time about three weeks ago and had to endure an infestation of bees! haha And it was the first beer I brewed using one of the "Bee Cave Brewery" recipes!

Today I'm brewing the Robust Porter to your exact specifications....Thanks Ed!

Brewed my first AG BIAB with this as a base today. Upped the hop additions a bit, but kept the grain bill the same. Lucky me, I got a hiiiiiigh efficiency of 85% with an OG of 1.061 for 5.3 gallons. Guess it's a good thing I upped the hops! :ban:

Kegged this past Saturday after ~14 days in primary and it's a nice beer. I'd dry hop it and up the flavor hops slightly if I was the primary consumer, but this was my gateway beer for non-craft beer drinkers. To that end, it suits it's purpose - thanks for sharing!

I love the original but I'm having trouble finding any more 10L .. Anybody have a good substitute ?

joeybeer said:
I love the original but I'm having trouble finding any more 10L .. Anybody have a good substitute ?

I used 15L on mine, and it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I've never used dry yeast before this beer. I used US-05, is it normally "clumpy" compared to liquid yeast? I've never seen yeast ferment like that dry yeast did, it was fun to watch. Except when it clogged the airlock and painted my fermentation fridge with yeast.

It seems to be settling nicely at the bottom of the carboy now, which is great, little slower than what liquid yeast normally does, and doesn't seem to be as clear at the 10 day mark, but it seems to be getting better.

Does this sound normal of dry yeast? I'll admit I didn't rehydrate on purpose. I've been trying to find valid shortcuts in the brewing day that now takes me 5+ hours... LOL.

I've never used dry yeast before this beer. I used US-05, is it normally "clumpy" compared to liquid yeast? I've never seen yeast ferment like that dry yeast did, it was fun to watch. Except when it clogged the airlock and painted my fermentation fridge with yeast.

It seems to be settling nicely at the bottom of the carboy now, which is great, little slower than what liquid yeast normally does, and doesn't seem to be as clear at the 10 day mark, but it seems to be getting better.

Does this sound normal of dry yeast? I'll admit I didn't rehydrate on purpose. I've been trying to find valid shortcuts in the brewing day that now takes me 5+ hours... LOL.

I've been using US-05 a lot lately and I love it. I use gelatin at the end to make it crystal clear. I've tried it in a few variations of APA like this and all come out great!

I was liquid only yeast kind of guy until I tried that stuff. It's great to just pitch 2 packs and not deal with starters. :rockin:

I've only used dry yeast a handful of times but, now that you mention it, it does settle into little clumps like little pebbles or something.

I just brewed this for the 1st time tonight. I tried to stay true to the original recipe as well as I could.

The big differences were that I got 80% efficiency, but only ended up with 5 gallons of wort.
So...
I got an OG of 1.061 SG.
Estimated IBUs 32.8
Estimated FG of 1.012
Estimated ABV of 6.4% (Oops! :drunk:)

I'll report back in a few weeks with more results! :mug:

I just kegged this. The sample tasted OK. I think it is still too young. It probably needs at least a couple more weeks at 65°F, so it went back into my fermentation chamber.

UncleJohnnys said:
Only 5 hours....man I wish I could get done that fast:D

I have a 2 year running around. I'm just thankful my girfried puts up with me being in the garage that long.

Just thought I'd pick your brew brain Ed. I brewed this last year and although it was good, it fell short of my expectations. I don't have my notes here (Still at work :mad:) but the overpowering presence of the beer was yeast.

I bottled the whole batch, and it was very yeasty with the Nottingham. And not really in a good way.

Just wondering how to better clean it up and try it one more time

duffman2 said:
Just thought I'd pick your brew brain Ed. I brewed this last year and although it was good, it fell short of my expectations. I don't have my notes here (Still at work :mad:) but the overpowering presence of the beer was yeast.

I bottled the whole batch, and it was very yeasty with the Nottingham. And not really in a good way.

Just wondering how to better clean it up and try it one more time

Try using US05. The first batch of this I brewed used US05 and I loved it. I rebrewed it and used nottingham. I guess I just don't like the flavor of notty fermentations.

What temps are you fermenting at and for how long? If I've read correct Nottingham works best at mid 60s. I've got another batch going righty now that i'm keeping around 66-68. I always give this one at least 10 days, too.

I thought the last batch was delicious however.

I just finished brewing this one. Added a little 2 Row for efficiency help, and ended up with 1.058 OG.

Also, added .5 oz of Stryian Goldings I had laying around at 45 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe!

Try using US05. The first batch of this I brewed used US05 and I loved it. I rebrewed it and used nottingham. I guess I just don't like the flavor of notty fermentations.

Think I have some S-04 and Notty at the house. I don't know, my three legged dog ate my brew book so I'm not sure how I fermented it. Probably around 68 to 70F.

Like I said it was a very yeasty beer and kind of reminded me of Delirium Tremmens. A little off, I know

Think I have some S-04 and Notty at the house. I don't know, my three legged dog ate my brew book so I'm not sure how I fermented it. Probably around 68 to 70F.

Like I said it was a very yeasty beer and kind of reminded me of Delirium Tremmens. A little off, I know

Three legged dog? Sparging accident? :confused:

Kegged this past Saturday after ~14 days in primary and it's a nice beer. I'd dry hop it and up the flavor hops slightly if I was the primary consumer, but this was my gateway beer for non-craft beer drinkers. To that end, it suits it's purpose - thanks for sharing!

After 6 or so pints, and more time in the keg, I'm seeing the beautiful simplicity of this beer. It's highly quafable and the perfect gateway ale for the non-craft beer drinkers. I had three pints today and I believe I may have just found my lawnmower beer! Next batch, and there will be a next batch, I'm going to dry hop 1/2 oz or so to give a hair of cascade aroma. Bittering is spot on and don't want to mess with the flavor given the intended audience. Thanks Ed!

Back