American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got a batch in the keg right now Ive been drinking and its great as but Im looking for a small improvement. Ive used Nothingham on many batches and have found it leaves the brew a bit thin so to speak. I guess Im looking for a little better mouth feel.

As Ive said Im thinking its the Nothingham as Ive used it for an Irish Red that Ive brewed a number of times and it basically has the same "thin" mouth feel.

Im not sure if Im describing it right, any help or conformation that Im not just drunk from this tastey brew would be great? :drunk:

I did a batch for my sister-in-law's wedding this past weekend, slightly modified with an extra 1 oz of Citra (60) and WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast. It got rave reviews, and IMO was the best beer I've made so far. Can't wait to make it again so that I'll get to drink more than a glass or two.

Thanks, Ed!

Ive got a batch in the keg right now Ive been drinking and its great as but Im looking for a small improvement. Ive used Nothingham on many batches and have found it leaves the brew a bit thin so to speak. I guess Im looking for a little better mouth feel.

As Ive said Im thinking its the Nothingham as Ive used it for an Irish Red that Ive brewed a number of times and it basically has the same "thin" mouth feel.

Im not sure if Im describing it right, any help or conformation that Im not just drunk from this tastey brew would be great? :drunk:

That's why I don't use Nottingham, I don't like the extreme dryness it imparts. I know people say mash higher to compensate or use dextrine malt but why should I compensate for a yeast that doesn't suite my taste?

Try American Ale II or Thames Valley (more yeast character).

That's why I don't use Nottingham, I don't like the extreme dryness it imparts. I know people say mash higher to compensate or use dextrine malt but why should I compensate for a yeast that doesn't suite my taste?

Try American Ale II or Thames Valley (more yeast character).

I like the yeast suggestion for taste change but I think the dextrine malt is what you would use to change the body characteristics, correct?

I like the yeast suggestion for taste chage but I think the dextrine malt is what you would use to change the body characteristics, correct?

Yeast attenuation plays a huge part in mouthfeel too. Nottingham which is a strong fermenter might take the beer down to 1.008 range where as something like American Ale II might stop at 1.012 or Thames Valley that might stop at 1.014-1.016 range. Then again they don't always attenuate the same every time.

Yeast attenuation plays a huge part in mouthfeel too. Nottingham which is a strong fermenter might take the beer down to 1.008 range where as something like American Ale II might stop at 1.012 or Thames Valley that might stop at 1.014-1.016 range. Then again they don't always attenuate the same every time.

To be clear swamp, you've brewed a batch of this recipe using a diff yeast strain? How did it turn out?

To be clear swamp, you've brewed a batch of this recipe using a diff yeast strain? How did it turn out?

Yes I used the grainbill but used nugget hops hop bursted for 35ibu with Wyeast 1272 and the yeast character is there. It's a little tart but it finishes very clean with only a slight citrus fruit when it warms up. Next time I brew this grainbill I want to try out European Ale yeast to see if I can get a little more malt flavor out of this simple yet awesome grainbill instead of going for my hopped up version.

Yes I used the grainbill but used nugget hops hop bursted for 35ibu with Wyeast 1272 and the yeast character is there. It's a little tart but it finishes very clean with only a slight citrus fruit when it warms up. Next time I brew this grainbill I want to try out European Ale yeast to see if I can get a little more malt flavor out of this simple yet awesome grainbill instead of going for my hopped up version.

I do like this grain bill and Ive read almost all of the posts Ed wrote. The Nottingham was used to keep the price down and simplicity up for an easy everyday brew, but I dont think Im going to use the Nottingham again. Ill keep the hops the same as it is very palletable to most. Thanks for the input Im going to brew this over the holiday break, Ill let you know how it turns out.

I've got some fresh-harvested French Saison yeast that I'm considering tossing into a batch of this, just for the hell of it. why not?

Well I have been drinking my first batch of this recipe for about 10 days now. It has a nice clean taste to it. The next time I brew this recipe I am going to try dry hopping as others have recommended. I would like it to be slightly more hoppy. My keg also has not completed cleared yet, but this might improve with time. If not I might use a secondary on the next batch. Thanks for the great recipe Ed.

rack04 said:
Has anyone compared nottingham to us-05 in this recipe?

No, but I think I will next time. Notty leaves a yeasty flavor that I don't particularly care for...at least it did in both my batches

I brewed a batch today with White Labs Essex Ale Yeast (on sale at LHBS) .. It was 1 week expired. No starter, and it is going after 6 hours..not sure what to expect compared to old Notty..(assuming I kept everything else under control)

Passedpawn - very interested in results from the quad batch you are doing ...

Well I have been drinking my first batch of this recipe for about 10 days now. It has a nice clean taste to it. The next time I brew this recipe I am going to try dry hopping as others have recommended. I would like it to be slightly more hoppy. My keg also has not completed cleared yet, but this might improve with time. If not I might use a secondary on the next batch. Thanks for the great recipe Ed.

mine was not too clear at kegging either.

i actually racked to secondary after about 7 days for the fun of it and let it sit for about 4-5 days in 2nd then cold crashed for 2 days and kegged and it was still not clear.

i had been drinking about a pint a day for a couple weeks and suddenly it came out crystal clear and changed to have a cleaner flavor.

i was surprised actually. i guess it just needed to be kegged for 2-3 weeks for some reason...i dunno

In my opinion you will not be disappointed! I have made this several times, it is easy to make and tastes great. I have made about 40 gallons of this so far. Safe to say it is my house Pale Ale!!:mug:

I'm getting ready to bottle this weekend. It looks like FG is ending up at about 1.007. A little low, I guess. It's only my 5th batch.

I think this brew is going to do me right through some hot summer days.

In my opinion you will not be disappointed! I have made this several times, it is easy to make and tastes great. I have made about 40 gallons of this so far. Safe to say it is my house Pale Ale!!:mug:

Not even close - I have 15 right now...doing another 5 Sunday

I really want to make this, but I want to make a 5 gallon batch and I'm not sure how to scale this down. Any help?

Not sure what you mean by scale down to 5 G ... the original recipe is for a 5G batch ...

Look at the very first post in this amazing thread.., it is such an easy recipe.. I have substituted Munich for the vienna, and it is a bit darker..I have tried different yeast and hops, but I cannot seem to improve on it :)

First post says the batch is 5.5G

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

First post says the batch is 5.5G

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

5.5 is really a 5 gallon batch. If you end up with 5.5 post fermentation you can lose from .25 to .5 during the fermentation stage so you will end up somewhere around 5 gallons left of beer to enjoy. I usually try to end up with 5.25 gallons post boil. But .25 gallons won't make much of a difference.

OK.....put me on the list to have brewed this.

First time for me. It was my first mini-mash and I am working towards it being my first all-grain brew, probably this fall.

It fermented out FAST!!!!!!!! I am letting it clean up a little before I keg and dry hop.

If it is half as good as everyone says I will be a happy man.

I'm new to kegging, and I want to brew this. I only do primary fermentation, can I dry hop right in the keg? I keep hearing different stories from people saying you shouldn't dry hop in keg more than a few weeks, and others say you can dry hop forever in keg since temps are low. I would like to dry hop 1oz cascade pellets, and would like to know the best way to go about doing that. THanks!

I'm new to kegging, and I want to brew this. I only do primary fermentation, can I dry hop right in the keg? I keep hearing different stories from people saying you shouldn't dry hop in keg more than a few weeks, and others say you can dry hop forever in keg since temps are low. I would like to dry hop 1oz cascade pellets, and would like to know the best way to go about doing that. THanks!

Just throw them in a mesh bag, or pantyhose and stick a stainless steel washer, or marble in it and throw it in. I've left dry hops in a keg for 2 months and it tasted great! No off flavors at all! The only downside I found was that the beer took longer to clear.

idigg said:

You definitely can dry hop in the keg. You will want to use a hop bad and tie it to the down stem of your keg about where the stem bends. You want to keep the hops submerged and keep them from clogging the keg. Some people use marbles in the hop bag.

I just kegged a batch of this for a party in September. Should I wait to dry hop it until 2 weeks out.

I checked the gravity today and it is at 1.010. It has fermented for 7 days in my fermentation freezer set to 63 degrees. Should I up the temperature to 65 for a couple days to get the yeast to clean up a little or cold crash now and keg?

I screwed up tonight doing a 10gal batch. I doubled everything except the hops, doh!

I changed it up going
1.25oz 60 min
0.50 oz 30 min
0.25 flameout.

I'm going to taste it before it goes into the keg and will dry hop accordingly.

Suggestions on amount to get me back to what it should be?
I also used Wyeast 1056 ale instead of nottingham, never been a huge dry yeast guy.

Overall, pretty happy with the results. Lookin forward to tasting it!

I'm planning on brewing the extract version of this soon, but the lhbs didn't have any munich lme, so I'm just going to replace it with additional pale lme. Obviously this will produce a different beer, but I'm curious in what ways. I plan on brewing the correct recipe in the future, but I'd still like to know what would be different without the munich lme.

I screwed up tonight doing a 10gal batch. I doubled everything except the hops, doh!

I changed it up going
1.25oz 60 min
0.50 oz 30 min
0.25 flameout.

I'm going to taste it before it goes into the keg and will dry hop accordingly.

Suggestions on amount to get me back to what it should be?
I also used Wyeast 1056 ale instead of nottingham, never been a huge dry yeast guy.

Overall, pretty happy with the results. Lookin forward to tasting it!

You know, this probably sounds like a joke, but I made this 3 weeks ago and I HALVED everything but the hops. Yes, I doubled the batch size but only milled for a single batch. Between adding some DME I had sitting around and boiling for 3 hours, I did salvage it.

I need some help picking out the right base malt... Northern Brewer stocks Rahr 2 Row Pale malt and Rahr Pale Ale malt. I'm under the impression the Rahr Pale Ale malt is 2 row as well, so I'm confused on which one I get???

I need some help picking out the right base malt... Northern Brewer stocks Rahr 2 Row Pale malt and Rahr Pale Ale malt. I'm under the impression the Rahr Pale Ale malt is 2 row as well, so I'm confused on which one I get???

They are probably the same. Most malt is 2 row unless it explicitly says 6 row.

Back