American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never made this beer specifically, but most batches I make taste bready when tasted early. Yes, that's the yeast flavor. For a pale ale you should still taste some bitterness, but the hop flavor will be muted by the yeast. RDWHAHB. It'll most likely taste great when done.

hey thanks.. I figured, but thats exactly what its like. slight hop aroma, bitter but no hop flavor... only bread.

looking forward to bottling this next week...

does everyone who bottles this crash it before bottling?

if so, what is your technique.. crash overnight before bottling? or longer?

thanks again scottland.

Just took a hydro sample and I'm at 1012 after a week. Sample tasted bready and with no real hop flavor... I'm thinking this is yeast flavor but wanted to see if anyone else had this experience tasting early samples.

Mine sat in the Primary for about 10 days and then in the secondary for about 3 weeks.

I bottled it about 12 days ago. Tried one after a week and had the exact same impression as you. Bready.

Tried a couple last night (still not 100% carbed, but close) and it still had some bready taste and smell. I hope it evens out in a couple more weeks.

TBoons said:
Mine sat in the Primary for about 10 days and then in the secondary for about 3 weeks.

I bottled it about 12 days ago. Tried one after a week and had the exact same impression as you. Bready.

Tried a couple last night (still not 100% carbed, but close) and it still had some bready taste and smell. I hope it evens out in a couple more weeks.

Jeeze... Hope it doesn't take that long. I figured that a relatively small beer like this would be a good one to try a quick turn around on.

Brewed this as my second AG batch. SG came in at 1.054 with just over five gallons in the carboy and pitched Notty. Not sure if the SG will make a big difference, plase chime in with any thoughts.

First time using Cascade hops and really liked the aroma. Thanks for the recipe!

This sat for 16 days in the primary, cold crashing now in a keg. Came in at 1.014. Numbers are a little off, however this is my second AG batch and hoping it will be as good as everyone says.

Just bottled after 2 weeks in primary.. FG 1012... sample still tastes yeasty. Will this mellow in the bottle?
Is this Nottingham's fault?

I would have let it sit longer but I need it ready by 15th of June an wanted it in bottle for 3 weeks.

Ed says bottle in ten days, so I figured 14 should be plenty.

My first Haus Pale ale. A little less hoppy than I prefer, but this beer is fantastic. It will be a hit this weekend. Hats off to you Ed.

ForumRunner_20110524_175838.jpg

I've read through a lot of this, but haven't seen if this was covered. I will be doing a partial boil so need to adjust hops accordingly. I entered the following in beersmith and ended up with 35IBU. Does this sound about right for a 3.25 boil for a 5 gallon batch?

1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

Anyone make this with WLP007? Pretty good attenuator and SUPER high flocculation.

I won't be able to cold crash due to a lack of space, and I know this yeast can drop clear without a crash. I actually did a Ruination clone with this yeast, couldn't cold crash and the beer still came out clear even with a ton of trub that made it into the fermentor and pellets dropped straight into primary for dry hop.

I also figure Ed's recipe will be a good one to harvest off of.

I brewed this a while ago on all the great recommendations for a solid "House" Pale. I did a 3.5-gal boil, roughly doubled the hops (for partial boil), and did 75% late DME addition. Finally cracked one after almost 5 weeks in a bottle, and I must say, wow. Delicious, balanced, hoppy.

SWMBO immediately said she loved it, and later confirmed it was her favorite of all 8 beers so far. I agree that it a step up from some of my earlier beers, with refined technique, and just a great recipe. I suspect mine is a bit hoppier than the original recipe, but we are both hop-heads so... not a problem. I'm still working out the partial-boil + late-DME hop adjustment, so will enjoy re-brewing this with minor adjustments!

Already pushing it next into the brewing schedule to make sure another batch is ready when we finish this one.

Aaron

I just popped my all grain cherry with this recipe. It took me 5 hours start to finish. I calculated a 81% efficiency, so I am pretty happy. Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to taste it.

well i kegged the batch that i used Notty in and its pretty dang good even though i didn't have all the same malts and hops of Ed's original...mine didn't quite clear all the way it kind of has the unfiltered look to it. no off flavors or anything though. it tastes kind of like an ale version of a corona. i uses cascade, styrian golding, and tettnang for hops so it has a less pale ale style of hops bitterness and more like a lager.

the batch i used the german ale yeast in will be cold crashed tomorrow as i needed to drink some room into the keezer to take it out of secondary :D

Well, I 'planned' to brew my second 11G batch of this today, but I was a pound short of the vienna, So I added another pound of 2 row to make up for it..

So now I'm brewing something 'similar to' this recipe...

I found out night before last that my brother and his family, and my nephew and his family are coming up weekend after next, and my pipeline is low...

So, I'm gonna brew this, let it go for seven days, put it under pressure and hope for the best... My first batch sat for a month first.. and was good.. Now we'll see if it is fast as Ed Claims...:mug:

Just made this for the first time. It was my first "mini-mash" and could not have gone smoother. Nailed the OG gravity and it smells delish. Can't wait to give it a try.

Ed, this will be my third AG brew, and I have a few newbie questions before I start this one. First, in your initial directions you say you do a dough-in with 3.5 gallons, wait 60 minutes, and then add 5 quarts of 175 degree water. So, before you do your first vorlauf you add water?

Also, in response #254, you say you stir after adding the water. From what I've read in the books, people seem to stress not stirring the grain just before you vorlauf, as you don't want to disturb the grain bed. I'm a bit unsure what to do. If it matters, my MLT is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a ss false bottom.

Oh, one other question. When you say you go straight from primary to keg, what exactly do you mean? Do you cold crash at the end of primary or after you’ve put it into the keg? If it's during primary, how many days do you ferment before cold crashing? Then, how many days do you cold crash? Also, when you put your beer in the keg and let it age, what is your CO2 schedule? Do you just set it to 12 PSI as soon as you keg it and let it sit? How long should I let it sit in keg? lol...sorry for the number of questions.

Time to give my props again.

I have brewed this recipe a ton. It doesn't last long around my parts. If its me, the craft beer guys, or the bmc drinkers. They go back to the keg time and time again.

Ed, this will be my third AG brew, and I have a few newbie questions before I start this one. First, in your initial directions you say you do a dough-in with 3.5 gallons, wait 60 minutes, and then add 5 quarts of 175 degree water. So, before you do your first vorlauf you add water?

Yes, he is doing what is called a mashout, the hotter water increases the grain bed temp and stops further conversion.

Also, in response #254, you say you stir after adding the water. From what I've read in the books, people seem to stress not stirring the grain just before you vorlauf, as you don't want to disturb the grain bed. I'm a bit unsure what to do. If it matters, my MLT is a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a ss false bottom.

When I add the mashout or sparge water to my MLT I stir the heck out of it and then give it about 5 or 10 minutes to let the grain bed settle before vorlaufing.

Oh, one other question. When you say you go straight from primary to keg, what exactly do you mean? Do you cold crash at the end of primary or after you’ve put it into the keg? If it's during primary, how many days do you ferment before cold crashing? Then, how many days do you cold crash? Also, when you put your beer in the keg and let it age, what is your CO2 schedule? Do you just set it to 12 PSI as soon as you keg it and let it sit? How long should I let it sit in keg? lol...sorry for the number of questions.

I cold crash at the end of the primary, usually after 3 weeks in the fermenter, I cold crash for like 3 days before kegging, and once kegged and purged of O2 I set the regulator t0 12 psi and forget it, it will be nicely carbed in a week or two., but I find that 3 weeks is about perfect, the keg should have cleared up, any chill haze should have dropped by then and the carbonation will be spot on.

Sorry I'm not Ed, but I figured I might be able to help!

Mine still finishes yeasty... Almost a lager like flavor. Is this just what notty does?

Also, has anyone dry hopped this? I'm thinking it could use just a smidge more hop flavor/aroma

How warm are you fermenting it at? I roll my version of this with a bit more hops and I ferment the notty at 60° I use centennial for bittering and cascade/centennial for flavor, I finish with cascade at flameout.

as for yeasty, is the beer hazy? or is it clear?

azscoob said:
How warm are you fermenting it at? I roll my version of this with a bit more hops and I ferment the notty at 60° I use centennial for bittering and cascade/centennial for flavor, I finish with cascade at flameout.

as for yeasty, is the beer hazy? or is it clear?

It's super clear... Just has a yeasty flavor. I fermented in the mid to high sixties...66ish. It's definitely gotten better with conditioning, but still w the yeasty finish.

I realized now that lots have better luck with notty at lower temps--could this be the culprit?

I have another batch in primary that I tried to ferment lower to combat the yeasty...I'm wondering if I should try dry hopping it too.

Brewed this last friday and just added a couple blood oranges to a gallon of it to see how that turns out... This recipe was my first all grain batch and it was so easy we brewed it again this saturday. Can't wait to taste it cold and carbed up.

Thanks EdWort! :mug:

photo.jpg

Brewed this last friday and just added a couple blood oranges to a gallon of it to see how that turns out... This recipe was my first all grain batch and it was so easy we brewed it again this saturday. Can't wait to taste it cold and carbed up.

Thanks EdWort! :mug:

My forst AG many moons ago .. I tweak the recipe from time to time, but it really doesn't get any easier .. Every batch has GREAT reactions from neighbors...I try to get them interested in one style, but they keep coming back to the HPA !

almost time to keg the second half of the 10 gal batch that used the german ale yeast... been cold crashing for a week or more after 3 weeks in secondary to clear some space in the keezer :mug:

ill be making another batch of the first modified one.... lost of people have been liking it with a lime as it lened towards a corona flavor.

i guess i should make an accurate attempt at the original soon too so i know what it tastes like

A have a split batch of this fermenting with wyeast 1056, 1272 and Pacman. I'm hoping to get down to one of them as my "go-to" American ale strain. Aromas out of the airlocks have been interestingly different. Thanks for an awesome recipe Ed!

Just did two firsts w my second batch of this... Racked to keg for a week of dry-hopping.

I used .75 oz of wilamette... And I have absolutely no idea what to expect. :)

I found the first batch yeasty and w very little hop presence, so I'm hoping the dry hopping w help.

Anyone else try this?

Brewed 5g of this last night, used up some loose leaf cascade hops I had lying around for the 15min and 5 min additions. Can't wait to get this into a keg, this is a nice drinkable pale ale.

This is the best beer I've brewed and one of the best I've drank. I did, however, dry hop with 1oz. of Simcoe. I'll be brewing another batch this weekend and have reserved an ounce of Centennial and an ounce of Citra for dry hopping. I literally can't wait!!

Back