American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna make this next weekend. Unfortunately my shop doesnt have any Vienna malt and I was wondering what the best substitution would be. If I was to use munich, would I use the same amount as vienna or scale it down as to retain the same color?

Really looking forward to this one :)

SIAP. what is the best wyeast equivalent for Nottingham? are you guys just with the standard and reliable good ole 1056?

TIA :mug:

I would suggest Wyeast 1098 or WLP007. It's dry, relatively clean English ale yeast that would sub well for Nottingham I think. That being said, 1056 did just fine with this recipe when I did it.

Beernewb said:
anyone ever dry hop this beer with a little cascade? or citra?

Yeah, I added an ounce of citra about 2 days ago to my primary. Smells amazing, can't wait to carb up and start drinking it!

I would suggest Wyeast 1098 or WLP007. It's dry, relatively clean English ale yeast that would sub well for Nottingham I think. That being said, 1056 did just fine with this recipe when I did it.

I want to try the 1056 - said to be very neutral..

I have made 3 batched with WLP001, and I like the results ..

I brewed a 5.5 gal batch last weekend. Bumped extracts a bit looking for little higher OG and little lower IBU, but I overshot OG and hit .068, final was .016, so guess I'm not really hitting the mark, but the sample was pretty nice at just 5 days. Image is from the sample at day five.

4 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
4 lbs Briess Golden Light LME
Weyermann Vienna 1.5 lbs
Briess Crystal 10L 0.5 lbs
1 oz Cascade 60 min (6.8% AA)
0.5 oz Cascade 30 min
0.25 oz Cascade 15 min
1/2 tsp Irish Moss 15 min
0.25 oz Cascade 5 min
Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast

86402e6b.jpg

Just FYI, 2lbs DME added to mini mash wort for 60min boil. Stopped boil with 15 min remaining and added 2lbs DME and 4lbsLME and returned to boil. After boil restarted I did the 15min adds.

i just made this brew for the first time on sunday. i copied the recipe exactly, but trimmed it down from 5.5 gallons to 3 gallons.

is this what its supposed to look like? ive never seen a color like this before...

IMG_0013[1].jpg

IMG_0014[1].jpg

I have now brewed 2 batches of this since the beginning of the year, one on the 1st and one on the 8th. Dry-hopped the first batch with an ounce of Citra, and just racked the second batch to keg for carbonation/conditioning for 2-3 weeks. Waiting on the Citra dry hopped batch to finish dry hopping before bottling/kegging (have not decided yet...).

I pulled a sample of batch #2 this am, and it is pretty tasty. For only 10 days out, it has a nice character that will only get better after carbed and conditioned. The Citra dry hopped batch has an amazing citrus/tropical fruit aroma in the primary, which should provide a interesting variation on a very good recipe. Will post further tasting notes on both after they are carbonated and conditioned!

Thanks!
Ryan M.

I just had my first bottle of this, my first BIAB AG. Despite royally screwing up everything I could (didn't ad sauermalz until half way through mash, mashed 2 degrees too high for about that long, then it dropped to 140, notty took off overnight and was too high for fermometer to read, though I cooled it down quickly), it's a good beer. I want another! Thanks, Ed!

Was planning on brewing this tomorrow so I went to the hbs and bought all the ingredients. Somewhere in the confusion of milling two separate grain bills (gonna be a two brew weekend) I milled the entire pound of the crystal, instead of a the required 8 oz. I know, I need to invest in a mill! I am worried that this is going to be way too sweet, not at all what I'm looking for. Should I just it brew it as is? Up the hops? Thoughts?

Was planning on brewing this tomorrow so I went to the hbs and bought all the ingredients. Somewhere in the confusion of milling two separate grain bills (gonna be a two brew weekend) I milled the entire pound of the crystal, instead of a the required 8 oz. I know, I need to invest in a mill! I am worried that this is going to be way too sweet, not at all what I'm looking for. Should I just it brew it as is? Up the hops? Thoughts?

Is it already mixed with the other malt? If not, just weigh out 8 oz, & bag the rest for the other batch.

If you cannot separate it, RDWHAHB. I bet it turns out good. It's only another 8 oz. of 10L anyway.

Brewed this over the Christmas holidays, extremely warm here in South Africa at the moment, so dumped it in the swamp cooler and hoped for the best... Opened my first on yesterday, only 5 days since bottling, OMG it is incredible! Thanks for an awesome recipe

Yeah, I milled all of the grain together, I'm just worried cause I came up with and IPA that had 1 ILB of crystal 60 and it is almost cloyingly sweet (so far, only 2 weeks in the bottle). Thanks Ed.

Finally getting around to this :) Mini-mash version, going to pitch it on top of the yeast from my Red Rye, S-04, any comments on how this might turn out would be greatly appreciated!

evening brew session yesterday, OG 1.056, pitched as planned on top of the red rye yeast cake, darker color than expected, but churning away 24 hours later. On the right is half of the red rye secondaried on Red Stag soaked dark char oak.

It will be interesting to see what flavors are added to the Haus Pale from the rye yeast/trub .

newbeer.jpg

Brewing this (all grain) right now. 54 minutes left in my boil. Will be using US-05 instead of notty though.

Sitting in the fermenter now, mine's closer to 1.060 but that's cause I'm a lot closer to 5 gals than I am 5.5.

Brewed this for the 2nd time, just kegged that one. The first one i mashed @ 152, this one @ 148, I think I prefer the dryer version. Time will tell, as I will let it age in the keg for a few more weeks. First time FG was 1.015, this time 1.004.

stryker_hass said:
ok made this brew today. 3rd all grain for me. followed to a tee. in the carboy, looks dark ? any ideas Thx Jim

It will look dark at first.

I'm finally brewing this tomorrow. I'm having to sub the admiral for target hops since I'm out of admiral. My IBUs will be exactly the same so I'm not too worried

Ed Brewed a Batch this weekend any thoughts on how close it will be to your Pale Ale?

Weyermann Pale Ale Malt 6#
Weyermann Vienna Malt 4#
Crystal 60L (Was on Hand no local HBS in 60 Miles)
Citra 1oz 60 Min
Citra .50 30 Min
Citra .25 15 Min
Citra .25 5 Min
Notty Ale yeast.

:mug:

With my complete inability to demonstrate anything approaching patience when a new brew is bottled, I cracked one open after 5 days. Tad green but pretty darn good and by far my clearest beer yet, could see the Bass logo clear as day through the glass.

Here it is:
f4d78b72.jpg

An ounce of citra, dry hopped for 14 days, makes EdWorts Haus Pale Ale my new favorite beer. Made the recipe, as in the OP with US-05, and kegged as is. Also made the recipe as in the OP, Nottingham yeast, and dry hopped with an ounce of citra.

Both taste good, but the citra really takes the cake, IMO.

Thanks EdWort!

An ounce of citra, dry hopped for 14 days, makes EdWorts Haus Pale Ale my new favorite beer. Made the recipe, as in the OP with US-05, and kegged as is. Also made the recipe as in the OP, Nottingham yeast, and dry hopped with an ounce of citra.

Both taste good, but the citra really takes the cake, IMO.

Thanks EdWort!

thanks, thinking of trying the same thing, was it a 5 gallon batch? also, what's your preference yeast wise? I don't get the best results with notty and my water, it really takes forever to drop out for some reason and I get bready/yeasty flavors for a while after bottling.

If you make a slightly larger viewing chamber you can seal it and use some brewballs. Would be easy to sanitize and no risk of breaking.

thanks, thinking of trying the same thing, was it a 5 gallon batch? also, what's your preference yeast wise? I don't get the best results with notty and my water, it really takes forever to drop out for some reason and I get bready/yeasty flavors for a while after bottling.

I made two 5.5 gallon batches. I fermented one with Nottingham, and one with US-05. I prefer the taste of the Nottingham over the US-05, but it will ferment approximately the same way. I noticed a harsher bitterness with the US-05, but it can vary from palate to palate. If you really like Citra, leave it in for 14 days. Otherwise, may look at removing the dry hop ounce at 5-7 days. Up to you. I prefer the 14 day dry hop, turned out fantastic!

How would this beer turn out with WLP007 (dry English ale)? I have a few jars I just washed and I have wanted to try this recipe. I'm thinking as long as I keep it around 65 I will be good.

What will subbing a little Crystal 60 for the Crystal 10 do? Just darken it some? At only 0.5 lbs i cant see it doing much, but I'm a noob.

brew2enjoy said:
How would this beer turn out with WLP007 (dry English ale)? I have a few jars I just washed and I have wanted to try this recipe. I'm thinking as long as I keep it around 65 I will be good.

I use 007 for almost all non belgian beers and it always works well. IMHO very well suited for APAs and IPAs.

flyfisherwes said:
What will subbing a little Crystal 60 for the Crystal 10 do? Just darken it some? At only 0.5 lbs i cant see it doing much, but I'm a noob.

C60 will darken the beer yes, but it will also impart more of a caramel taste to the recipe, the darker you go with crystal/caramel malts the more intense the flavor.

C60 will darken the beer yes, but it will also impart more of a caramel taste to the recipe, the darker you go with crystal/caramel malts the more intense the flavor.

Thanks

Could I just use less of it and increase the vienna or 2 row by the same amount?

flyfisherwes said:
Thanks

Could I just use less of it and increase the vienna or 2 row by the same amount?

Personally I would just use the .5lbs of the c60, but if you want to see how changeing the malts will effect the recipe, try downloading Bewmate (www.brewmate.net) and put the recipe in to play around with it. Brewmate is free and I have found it to be very usefull.

I believe it'll add a little more caramel sweetness as well, though I'm a n00b myself. I really like this recipe and plan to brew it a few more times as well as making the grainbill the base for freezer clean-out brews.

Back