Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, my efficiency was a lot lower than I expected, so I ended up pitching almost twice as much as I should have. I didn't even think about it on brew day. I fermented at 68 like the recipe said to, so I know that's not it.

What yeast strain did you use and what temp did your primary at?

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

FWIW I wasn't picking up any banana until the bottle conditioning was done. 1.5L starter at 62, slightly low OG. Quickly has become the first beer I reach for now that the weather is gettin hot. Mine is light clove/banana, nothing over the top. Very smooth and approachable for just about any beer drinker I would think.

Here's a pic for the visually inclined :)

BavarianHef.jpg

Ive heard that ferm at 68-70 is critical for hefe yeasts. Is that true? Im trying to find a way to get my temp controller probe inside a ss tube down in the middle of my carboy. Any ideas??

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Brewing this tomorrow just finished the small yeast starter, about 650ml. Based on the date that means I should be under pitching by about 25% and I plan to ferment at 68. Hoping for a nice banana and clove balance. I might take a gallon after primary and rack it on strawberries or peaches for a little test run. Cheers!

I got it bottled today. Decided to not dry hop and just go with it. I ended up with just short of 6 gallons in bottles.

Bottling this today. Hit all the numbers and fermented for 14 days at 68F. Hydrometer sample is spot on and delicious. Simple recipe that produces a very authentic Bavarian Hefe. Thanks, EdWort!

TOO MUCH PRIMING?

hi guys i made this hefe and my OG was spot on. i let it ferment for 2weeks and the FG was 1.009 which is where the recipe says it should be. According to brewersfriend.com and other sites, hefe volume of c02 should be at 3.4-4.5 volumes of c02 . I thought i'd go in between at 4 and the calculator told me to use 9.2 oz of corn sugar for 5 gal batch.
Its only been 2 days in the bottle and i can see that it is already really carbonating. I opened one up today just out of curiosity and it gushed for a good amount of time, and was insanely carbonated to taste. I feel like it will just get worse as time goes on , or does the carbonation level out after a while ? I am reading up on it and some people are saying that 4.0 is too high and u can release some c02 by prying the cap off a little bit, letting some c02 escape and then recapping.. my question is, how much priming sugar did u add and how long did u let it sit before putting in in the fridge and drinking it? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

I only carbed mine to 2.8 volumes. I've read that the limit on regular 12 oz bottles is 3, so I wanted to give myself some room just to be safe. Besides, I feel like 3.4-4.5 is way too high for my taste.

If I were you, I'd stick those in a box before they explode and you have glass everywhere. You can also stick them in the fridge if you have the room. You can cool them down, and then open each cap to let out some co2. That way you won't have gushers.

i wonder why online priming calculators would give such a high suggestion for this type of style?! that's insane. I already put them in a covered box in case a bottle bomb does occur (crossing fingers it doesnt happen). Sounds like i will have to let out some c02. what a pain in the a$$..has this happened to anyone before?

i wonder why online priming calculators would give such a high suggestion for this type of style?! that's insane. I already put them in a covered box in case a bottle bomb does occur (crossing fingers it doesnt happen). Sounds like i will have to let out some c02. what a pain in the a$$..has this happened to anyone before?

The calculators show the co2 volumes for that specific style. If you're kegging, that's not an issue. If you're bottling, you have to be careful. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the styles that are highly carbonated are bottled in much thicker bottles than what we normally use. I know there's a thread somewhere on here that lists the co2 limit for each type of bottle. I can't seem to find it though...

I only carbed mine to 2.8 volumes. I've read that the limit on regular 12 oz bottles is 3, so I wanted to give myself some room just to be safe. Besides, I feel like 3.4-4.5 is way too high for my taste.

So how did this work out at 2.8 Vols? I just bottled Saturday to 2.6 Vol (135 g of corn sugar for 5G).

It's all carbed up now. It tastes pretty good. The clove is very subtle and I get just a little bit of banana in the aftertaste. It's refreshing for sure. I'll definitely brew this again if I need a beer quick.
10528068_10152635264463825_2090302122_n.jpg

It's all carbed up now. It tastes pretty good. The clove is very subtle and I get just a little bit of banana in the aftertaste. It's refreshing for sure. I'll definitely brew this again if I need a beer quick.
10528068_10152635264463825_2090302122_n.jpg

Fantastic brew. We've almost polished off the whole batch already. Your carbonation looks spot on.

Just bottled this, sample tastes great, so thats a good sign. Tried washing the yeast, my first time doing that. I know I will want to do another batch!

Brewed this last week. 4th tim using this yeast. Third time my basement smelled like rotten eggs. What am i doing to make the yeast do this. And i have learned to be patient, i know it will clear. But it adds a week to a week and a half to the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing this up right now. The wort smells so good it's causing bees to commit suicide... I've fished out three drowned bodies from the boil. Whoops!

The calculators show the co2 volumes for that specific style. If you're kegging, that's not an issue. If you're bottling, you have to be careful. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the styles that are highly carbonated are bottled in much thicker bottles than what we normally use. I know there's a thread somewhere on here that lists the co2 limit for each type of bottle. I can't seem to find it though...

You're right about the thicker bottles for certain styles. I have heard of even using things like champagne bottles for Belgian Strongs because it is supposed to have almost 3 volumes pressure.

I was going to brew this today and noticed I have the wrong yeast. Somehow I ended up with wlp351 instead of the 3068.

Should I postpone the brew day or just use what I have?

Decided to take the advice that was given and brewed with the wlp351. I had a great brew day.
This was actually the first time I've ever brewed outside. The weather was great!

Everything went very well and according to plan. I did get a little more intoxicated than usual because of the extended mash and boil times but I didn't spill anything or get burned so I'll call it a success.

Looking forward to trying this beer soon.

No time to make a starter before brew day. What are your thoughts on just using 2 smack packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So seven days in, and the gravity has been sitting at about 1.018 for the past three days, down from 1.056. The samples are pretty sour though, and a little bitter aftertaste. Getting better for sure, but still not really good.

There's also a crazy amount of trub/general particulate matter that settles out of the hydrometer samples in about half an hour.

Should I leave it for another week in the primary? Or just keg it now and leave it there for a while?

Oh, also---I accidentally bought an extra ounce of hallertau that I'm not going to use for anything else. Would this be good dry hopped with that?

Going to make this again this weekend. Going to be using WLP380 as my LBHS was out of 3068.

Wishing I would have made a starter earlier in the week. Oh well.

I enjoy this recipe but I may have screwed up. I made a 2L starter out of WLP300 for this batch, totally not realizing that it is a massive overpitch. I hit 5.5 gallons @ 1.054, and it's busting away right now at about 66 degrees.

What can I expect from such a big overpitch? I'm hoping for strong banana flavor. Thanks.

Racked over to the keg today. Attenuation was more than I thought it would be but I'll still drink it. :)

OG 1.050
FG 1.004

ABV=6.04 percent

Delicious!

I enjoy this recipe but I may have screwed up. I made a 2L starter out of WLP300 for this batch, totally not realizing that it is a massive overpitch. I hit 5.5 gallons @ 1.054, and it's busting away right now at about 66 degrees.

What can I expect from such a big overpitch? I'm hoping for strong banana flavor. Thanks.

Whenever I have over pitched this yeast strain, I've had no esters at all i.e. no banana. However, you'll still get a great tasting hefe.

It appears as if I either need to not drink so much our make bigger batches. Cashed the keg yesterday. I guess I know what I'm brewing next weekend.

My first Hefe! :rockin: Followed recipe but pitched a cup of Danstar Munich Wheat slurry at ~70F. First few days I kept fermenter in tub and tossed an ice pack in a few times a day keeping water ~65. 4 weeks primary. Got 50 bottles and used 5.9 grams corn sugar to carb. After 3 weeks in bottle I tried one and it was good. I have a lot of clove which I'm not a big fan of, but maybe I should research styles a little more before trying them :drunk:
I don't even think I have ever had a hefe before...just wanted to expand my pipeline.

I'm going to do this again but I think I'm going to go with S05 for an American style wheat and skip the clove/banana stuff. I think I will eventually try this again but maybe underpitch and ferment a tad warmer to see if I can mellow out the clove. I'm guessing different wheat yeast that is easier less on the clove/banana would be good.....or maybe I'm and American Wheat lover and I don't even know it yet! :mug:

I learned a lot doing this .one ... Thanks for the recipe!

Hey Ed,

Is this beer supposed to have a lot of banana and clove flavors and aromas? When I took the gravity reading I tasted the sample, and I got no banana at all and just a little clove flavor. The smell was sulfur, which I know will go away with time, but I couldn't pick up any banana or clove at all. Any thoughts? Did I overpitch?

*edit* Nevermind, I pitched way too much yeast because my efficiency was so bad. According to Mr Malty, I needed a 1.5 liter starter, but I pitched a 2.5 liter starter. Oh well...

Yep. If you over pitch or ferment too low you get a dry Hefe with some clove.

Hi Ed

Just wanted to thank you for this and your other recipes and wish you and yours a happy holidays. Loving making these recipes. The results have been great thus far. The Hefe didn't last long once a couple of the neighbors got a taste. I was very pleased with the result. The tastiest hefeweizen I have ever had and one of my favorites of any kind. Have your Haus Pale on tap now to replace the empty Hefe. It is a winner too. Should go down well over Thanksgiving. Apfelwein not quite ready to go yet. Going to leave it till Xmas before I bottle. Thanks again

Well, this one is up next for me. It sounds to good to pass up. I'm doing a 4 gallon batch BIAB, my kettle is too small for full 5 gallon batches and sparging kinda defeats the purpose of BIAB. Maybe I can convince Santa I need a bigger kettle.

Yep. If you over pitch or ferment too low you get a dry Hefe with some clove.

Brewed a double batch today... split into two fermenters and pitched 3068 in one and WL300 in the other to compare the similarities and differences. Loving your recipes so far...

Latest posts

Back