Beautiful countryside breweries - what's yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was insane enough to aspire to owning and operating a small brewery, I used to collect photos of British breweries in beautiful surroundings. Drawing from a few models including Hook Norton, I dreamily envisioned serving casks locally, with spent grains feeding pigs in their acorn woodlots and sheep in their meadow (this is before I knew anything about raising livestock).

Anyway, two, to get us started. St. Peter's in Suffolk.

1701543360061.png

1701543321684.jpeg

Donnington's, Stow-in-the-Wold, Cotswolds

1701543237891.jpeg

1701543268606.jpeg

I suppose my best has been Ommegang. I heard it has changed, but when I visited in 2006-ish it was a fantastic Belgian-farmhouse inspired building on a beautiful plot of upstate NY land.
Ommegang is one of my favorites too!
They added a really nice cafe/taphouse, the views are still amazing.
They do some concerts with camping which sell out fast

I've never been but would love to visit Ommegang. I'd thought it was on the site of a former chicken farm but just looking up their site now, it seems it was a former hop farm?

Gorgeous. Upstate generally is really special. I used to live in the Berkshires (as a Shakespearean actor with Shakespeare & Company, of all things), and forays up to upstate were always so beautiful.

Yes hop farm, NY was the biggest producer of hops in the US until some killer fungus killed the industry. But it’s back!
That's awesome and so much more fitting than "converted chicken farm." No idea where I got that. And also wasn't aware NY hop farming has come back. If I'm remembering right downy mildew pushed the industry farther and farther west but that eventually it would run itself out. Sounds like that's already happened/happening? Shows how out of the loop I've been. Great to hear.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?
I lost my originals, so I snagged a few from the web of Ten Sleep Brewing in Ten Sleep, WY.
View attachment 835612

When I visited, one of the summer helpers was a free spirit who did a little rock climbing in the back on when he wasn't on the clock.

View attachment 835613
It is in the eye of the beholder, and I'll tell you, my son and I are preparing for a western hunt in 2-3 years. Grew up in CA but spent time in CO and UT, and love the west.

Back