Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never brewed such a thing...but I did just judge one last weekend

It was BRIGHT red and crystal clear, brewer probably used gelatin or something else.

It was a Saison base, entered in 23A (we did 22 SHV and 3 christmas beers that day...including like 9 pumpkin beers and I swear I got stuck with 6 of them).

The brewer did a great saison, but the beets were over powering. It added this really deep earthy flavor...and a "beet" flavor. It kind of overwhelmed the base beer unfortunately. If you REALLY like beets, this was your beer.

beets.JPG

Haven't ever thought of it, let alone attempted it, but it sounds like it could be awesome.

I've had the Breakside beet saison too and really liked it. Phenols, esters, earthy beet flavor. Great beer, but basically all their beers are.
I've tried several other commercial beet beers and most were good, just be careful to use them sparingly and not overpower the rest of the beer flavor.

I would have said saison or wheat. Would you add them at flameout or in the mash? They'll stain your mash tun I bet. I think they'd be hard to sanitize, no?

My Dwight bobblehead on my desk has the title of this thread on his shirt. :)

last month's brew club comp was 21A and all were pumpkin pale ales plus my barleywine

3rd place went to a beet beer based on a Tripel.

it was good, but I don't think it was better than my barleywine. I hate I got beat by a beet beer

Now I'll admit it was mostly for colour (and to see if it could be done), but I brewed a partial mash ipa using shredded beets last month. There is a hint of earthiness, but it's mostly overshadowed by the hops. Started out as a really nice ruby red, but has since faded into a (still nice) reddish amber. Will post the recipe if interested.

Now I'll admit it was mostly for colour (and to see if it could be done), but I brewed a partial mash ipa using shredded beets last month. There is a hint of earthiness, but it's mostly overshadowed by the hops. Started out as a really nice ruby red, but has since faded into a (still nice) reddish amber. Will post the recipe if interested.

do it.:rockin:

Back