Beamish clone ~20%abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planimal

Reaction score
Hey, first time visiting, long time brewer.

I wanted to get your input on this before I started the brew. I'd like to make a beamish clone with a medium vanilla and smoke flavor and the addition of a bit of everclear to around 20 percent abv. sort of barley wine for deserts.

5 gallons of .05 abv plus 2 liters of everclear should put me in the ballpark

found a beamish clone recipe for extract brewing, but i might end up doing a full mash

3.7# coopers stout malt
2.5# dark dme
.25# roasted barley
1/2oz cascade and willamette(finishing)

3 vanilla beans and oak chips soaked in 2 liters of everclear, added when racking.

really my only concerns are whether or not this will allow the bottles to prime properly. any tips or suggestions would be wonderful

Sorry, but this sounds horrendous. First, that recipe wouldn't come close to a beamish stout and with all that everclear you will get something that A) wont carbonate and B) will probably be undrinkable even to your local fratboys.

Why not just make a drinkable irish stout or barleywine and then add vanilla or oak to your liking??

It's going to be hard to take this post seriously. If you've been brewing for any length of time, as you claim, you should know better... 2 LITERS of Everclear in a 5G batch?? That's over 32 oz of nearly pure grain alcohol... most reasonable bourbon-infused beers use half that or less... and that is alcohol that is less than half the strength and it actually supposed to taste good. Most bourbon beers use between 8-16oz to get a nice forward flavor, and you're proposing putting 4 times that strength into a rather thin-bodied beer, and using alcohol that tastes like Satan's anus.

Like I said, it's hard to take seriously. Not to mention that if you're doing a stout with vanilla and smoke flavors, it's certainly not a Beamish clone, so I'm not sure why you're worried about finding a "clone" recipe... just do a normal dry stout and have at it, since any Beamish "clone" wouldn't be recognizable as a Beamish clone once you've done all that to it anyway. And if you really want a "desert [sic]" barleywine, why not make an actual barleywine? Stouts don't automatically become barleywines just because they're high in alcohol..

And no, if you add enough Everclear to "bump" the ABV from ~5% to four times that amount, you'll shock the crap out of your yeast and kill them... no yeast, no carb.

There are plenty of good Imperial Stout recipes that are *balanced* and provide 10-13% alcohol... what on earth is the point to creating a 20% Beamish Stout clone that isn't a stout, isn't a Beamish clone, and isn't going to taste good?

BTW, welcome to HBT! :D

really my only concerns are whether or not this will allow the bottles to prime properly.

No it won't, ale yeast cannot survive in that high an alcohol environment.

Brew a beer, carbonate it, then mix it with whatever you feel like when you are pouring. I used to make beer-based cocktails - my favorite was with an orange liqour. But you have to start out with a good beer.

Back