BCS temp probe terminals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
Probably been posted before but I can't find anything.

I have a temp probe with a black and white wire that I need to solder to a xlr. The xlrs on my control panel are 2 x red on 1 and 3 going to bcs 462. Silver goes to ground on BCS.

Question. Does the white and black go to 1 and 3 and ground go to 2?
Reading in the electric brewery supply manual the polarity doesn't matter. Is that right?

Picture
Screenshot_20171219-215511.png

With respect to BCS temp probes only 2 conductors are conductive and are not polarity sensitive. On your control panel if PINS 1 and 3 are wired to the BCS then your TEMP PROBE will require the same configuration. In this case it would appear you will use PINS 1 and 3 on the XLR connector.

Last edited:
I'm in seriouse need of help here. I have now connected the black and white wire from the thermistor probe to the female plug in picture.

On the panel side going to the BCS I have terminal 1 going to BCS probe input and terminal 2 going to ground on BCS.

I have all temps showing but when I turn the contactors for the elements on and off I notice the temps go up and down and I lose the signal on the TP link.
I'm running ebrew supply 50A panel.

With the probes out there is no issue turning the contactors for the elements on and off.

Please help. This is getting rediculouse.

The third wire is often a cable or shield ground. If so this needs to go to system earth ground, otherwise the ground loop will cause issues with noise on the signal.

The third wire is often a cable or shield ground. If so this needs to go to system earth ground, otherwise the ground loop will cause issues with noise on the signal.
So the third wire on the thermistor should be on the same terminal as the wire going to ground on the BCS?

Electrically yes, but earth ground typically separate than say an ac neutral line or tiring a dc leg to ground where you drop some voltage. Earth typically has the fewest connection and best joints possible (least resistance) to earth. Ground loops are a real pain to troubleshoot, loose screw, bad crimp, cold solder joint, away from high frequency or high voltage sources.

Latest posts

Back