BC question for blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
So I have two questions, but one I am pretty much already sure of the answer I will get. I brewed this blonde ale (slightly altered Centennial Blonde) on Nov. 18 and its been in the bottles since Dec. 15.

Here's the recipe for 5.5gal:
5# extra light DME
.75# carapils
.25# crystal 10
.25oz centennial @ 45
.5oz centennial @ 20
.5oz cascade @ 10
.5oz cascade @ 5
Nottingham

Bottled with 2/3 cup corn sugar. I know its less than average but I enjoyed an english bitter I made with this level of carb.

1. There is pretty much no head. By that I mean some slight bubbles clinging to the side of the glass, but even after a very vigorous pour, nothing more. What could have caused this, and is it related to #2?

2. My bottles still are not carbonated. They are coming along from when I first checked them last week. I turned them over once and put them back in my closet to try and hurry it along, so we'll see what it's like in another 2 weeks. I've read a bunch of threads and know the answer is, "give it time", so I'm not that worried. Mainly I want to know why there is no head.

You should have fine carbonation with that much sugar. My guess would be the temperature. The yeast is going to struggle a bit at the end of fermentation, there is alcohol present and they have been dormant for at least a couple weeks. Higher temperatures are needed for bottles to carbonate. Try moving at least a couple bottles to somewhere in the 75-80 degree range and see if they carbonate. Give it at least a week.

Yea my apartment has been pretty cold with the temperatures we've had lately. I keep my place at 68F, but I think my living room is closer to 62-64F. The porter in my primary got stuck at 1.02 so I think it is the temps. I just moved my primary into my bedroom and I'll trying moving a case of the blonde ale too.

I definitely agree temps are an issue as close to 70* as possible, but you also might consider to start weighing your Corn Sugar rather than using a measuring cup. I started doing that a couple years back and noticed a more consistent carbonation in my beers. I like to use 4 1/2 oz in all my beers since I don't worry about carbing to style.

Back