BBW Vs OxiClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi,
I have read and heard a lot about OxiClean as a good replacement for the expensive BBW. I went to Smart and Final and bought one pound of that OxiClean stuff. I did not use it to clean my buckets and lines because it had blue color crystals or stain remover material (see the picture). Is that safe to use? or do I need to shop for OxiClean that is free from those blue color crystals?

Thanks for all the help, have a great brew week.

photo.jpg

image.jpg

I've used versatile without problems.

oxycleam is a good day-to-day replacement for PBW but it won't touch beer stone. when that happens you need hot pbw.

Oxi Clean free? that is the stuff without the blue colored crystals? If so is it available in the market?

Yeah, it's free of dyes and fragrances. Not sure what you mean by the market, but it or it's equivalent should be available at most stores. I use the Clorox version since it was a little cheaper and I know there are a couple of generics too.

49239d1329936135-oxyclean-people-using-place-pbw-image-1864680013.jpg

Yes, oxyclean free is on the market but you might have to search a little for it. It contains no dyes or perfumes like the regular oxyclean and has a green logo on the front of the tub.

That being said, you can probably use the regular oxyclean if you use it sparingly and very thoroughly rinse whatever you're cleaning with it out after you're done using it. I've used it on everything from fermenters to bottles with no issues. Rinse, rinse rinse.

I was once an oxyclean Guy. Then I used PBW. Oxyclean is for laundry, PBW is for brewing.

It was my understanding that oxyclean was more like one-step, an oxygen based cleanser that is best used when there are plenty of bubbles being produced, which is why you can't/shouldn't store it for future use, as apposed to starsan which will keep. Whereas PBW is more of a caustic cleaner.

Ha, I read your post title and honestly thought: "is this guy comparing oxyclean to an expensive big-beautiful-woman? I'd be grateful if my BBW would wash my bottles for me."

Oxi
7732-18-5 Water Deionized 70-85%
7722-84-1 Hydrogen Peroxide 3.0-5.0%
68002-97-1 Ethoxylated Alcohol C10-C16 2-6%
1310-73-2 Sodium hydroxide 0-1%

PBW
Sodium Metasilicate

Oxi
7732-18-5 Water Deionized 70-85%
7722-84-1 Hydrogen Peroxide 3.0-5.0%
68002-97-1 Ethoxylated Alcohol C10-C16 2-6%
1310-73-2 Sodium hydroxide 0-1%

PBW
Sodium Metasilicate

Last I heard pbw contained sodium carbonate (washing soda), sodium percarbonate (breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide), sodium metasulicate (available as tsp alternative, use red devil brand), and a surfactant which is probably sds (aka sodium lauryl sulfate).

active ingredients in oxyclean are washing soda and sodium percarbonate so people have been mixing it, meaning oxyclean, with sodium metasilicate as an approximation of pbw (30 percent metasilicate and 70 percent oxyclean).

The metasilicate works as a water softener among other things which is why people believe that pbw works better in hard water while oxyclean will typically leave a white film in hard water.

Ha, I read your post title and honestly thought: "is this guy comparing oxyclean to an expensive big-beautiful-woman? I'd be grateful if my BBW would wash my bottles for me."

Chadwick, My bad, I made a spelling mistake at the beginning. Although I edited the text right away and I changed it, but it seem that the typo have stayed just long enough for you to see it. Hahahaha

Last I heard pbw contained sodium carbonate (washing soda), sodium percarbonate (breaks down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide), sodium metasulicate (available as tsp alternative, use red devil brand), and a surfactant which is probably sds (aka sodium lauryl sulfate).

active ingredients in oxyclean are washing soda and sodium percarbonate so people have been mixing it, meaning oxyclean, with sodium metasilicate as an approximation of pbw (30 percent metasilicate and 70 percent oxyclean).

The metasilicate works as a water softener among other things which is why people believe that pbw works better in hard water while oxyclean will typically leave a white film in hard water.

This is the correct answer. PBW also contains a chelator, but you nailed all the important parts.

2 parts oxyclean free and 1 part Red Devil TSP alternative (sodium metasilicate) make a fairly passable PBW alternative for much cheaper.

It's not quite as good, but for the price, it's good enough for me.

It was my understanding that oxyclean was more like one-step, an oxygen based cleanser that is best used when there are plenty of bubbles being produced, which is why you can't/shouldn't store it for future use, as apposed to starsan which will keep. Whereas PBW is more of a caustic cleaner.

I have never heard of anyone trying to store Oxyclean that has already been mixed. It is a cleaner - great for cleaning dirty fermentors, boil kettles, corny kegs, etc - but it is not a sanitizer like StarSan. They have two different purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used oxiclean for a while. I prefer the ease of use with PBW. For me the convenience is worth forgoing the savings. Plus, if I get lazy and do an extended soak, no chalky residue to rinse with vinegar.

Back