BB Kits - Prices Skyrocketing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Haro Designs

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that the price of BB kits has been SKYROCKETING ?

The prices in the 08 Northern Brewer catalog (that I just got a month ago) are like 15% less than the online pricing now.

Almost across the board on all the ingredients too.

Rising energy prices to blame? Hops shortage? Wow, 15% in a month!

I was just in my home brew shop yesterday, same deal there. The surcharge there is for hops only though. Even still, it's cheaper to keep brewing your own than buying. I wonder how many home brewers are now going to start growing their own hops. I saw some rhizomes on ebay going for over $20. I got mine from NB and are in transit now. I'm personally looking forward to brewing with hops I grew.

Just checked my LHBS on line. Yep, BB kits up $2!! $30.50 now. Bold series up $4!! $36.50 now. Still cheaper than another shop 45 min. up the road who charges $2-$12 more per kit and treated me rudely last weekend I might add.

WOW! They haven't updated the kits prices since Jan and the hops since last Nov but they do have some awesome prices. If only I had a credit card! Been working on escaping credit card dept for a couple years so I don't use them right now.

Wow, I used to work there when I was in high school...before I knew anything about beer...

In my limited experience (33 years) if it sounds to good to be true 99% of the time it is. I wouldn't risk a few buck savings.

Prices are subject to change without notice. e-mail for any pricing/availability questions.
Last modified: November 29, 2007

I suspect their actual prices are up there with everyone else.

There are several major problems contributing to the rising prices. The first and foremost is the obvious problems with the hop shortage. This was caused by a number of bad things happening to the hop plants both here and in Europe (blights, fires ect...). It may take up to 2 more years to get it straightend out.

The second problem is grain. Many farmers are starting to grow more corn for the production of ethanol as a fuel source. Some fields that were once used for growing barley are now producing corn which is keeping the demand high. Couple that with the severe increase in fuel which is devastating profits in the freight industry, and we have significant price increase across the board.

Many of the home brewing stores have been doing there best to try to keep prices at bay (hats of to AHS! Great job guys) but the piling costs of raw material and freight is affecting everybody in a sudden pinch that came to a head the start of this year.

You will see the prices of commercial brewed beer starting to take off relatively soon. They have all been purchasing needed grains and hops to make it through the year in larger than normal quantities, but eventually will have to fold to thier increased overhead. The worst hit will be the micro-breweries who can't compete with the contracting power of the big boys on hops and grain purchase. It is not entirely easy for a brewery to alter a recipe either. Brewers Best and many of the other "kit" producers have had to make alterations and substitutions in thier recipes.

One good option would be to start buying your grain, extract, hops etc... in bulk since most of the above can be kept (if stored properly) for several months.

Back