Bazooka Screens? To use or not to use..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used a Bazooka or similar style screen in their boil kettle with pelleted hops?

The product descriptions mention whole leaf hops only. I assume a higher risk of clogging with pellets, and was wondering if anybody had any first hand experience using the pellets in such a system.

I have one and love it but I use mostly whole hops. I've never had an issue and think it works great. I think i've used 2 oz of pellets (mixed with whole) as the most pellets.

I remember reading somewhere that someone topped out at 4 oz of pellets before it clogged.

I tried other methods such as the hop bag but i didn't feel i was getting good hop flavour so i bought the screen and haven't looked back.

I use the screen, and almost exclusively pellets and I can tell you it clogs rather easily. It seems like it's made more for mash tuns. I have a bazooka in my tun and it works great.

I've been having issues with clogging lately, and have lately been using pellet hops due to whole being unavailable (esp. locally) for the type I've been using. So for xmas I got a bazooka screen - better than nothing I figure but I haven't tried it yet.

The way I understand it, if the screen clogs while you're draining, use your spoon to rake the hops off the screen and get the flow going again... better than dunking your arm into the wort to the valve to try to unstick it, then having to use a siphon anyway (which also clogs... yes, I've done it... StarSan on the arm before dunking though! :D)

Trust me- the bazooka is awesome for whole hops, even filtering out the hot break, but do NOT use it with pellet hops! If I'm using pellet hops, they have to go in a bag if I'm using the bazooka screen. The little bit that comes through the bag doesn't cause much of a problem.

So the raking the screen with a spoon trick doesn't work? If not THANKS MUCH - I'll be using a hop bag.

I just rake the screen with a spoon if it clogs. No big deal, although you might have to do it a couple times.

Yooper has a point about the hot break - it works well for that too. My system is to stir the heck out the cooled wort to whirlpool and then let it sit for 10 mins. Then I'll drain into the primary. If it gets slow I will first tilt the pot, then i will use a sanitized spoon the clear the area by the spigot and if all else fails i will starsan my hand and keep the spout area clear so i get every last drop of sweet, sweet wort.

Ever since i got the bazooka AND started cold crashing I'm getting clearer beers that have great hop flavour.

thanks for all your help guys. I have a new counter-flow chiller and I am worried about gumming it up with trub and it sounds like with a little rigging a braided steel hose will serve purpose for now.

Back