Bazooka screen VS. Dip tube for mash tun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grzebyk26

Reaction score
I am converting to a 15.5 gallon stainless steel kettle for a mash tun. In the past I have used a scree with great results. In my new kettle I am trying to decide between a "T" fitting with two 6" screens on each side or a false botom set up. obviously my two biggest concerns are dead space and clogging. I thought I would see if you guys could help me make up my mind or at least give me some helpful hints. Thank you.

The bazooka tube is what I use in my current setup, with coolers. It won't clog unless you're using a crap ton of wheat or flaked stuff, and if you're doing that you can throw some rice hulls in there. It will however create channeling hardcore during a fly sparge. Your efficiency will be so low you'll really only want to batch sparge with it. Not very much deadspace with a bazooka tube. I can't give you much advice on the false bottom though, as I'm currently in the building process of upgrading to a 3 keggle system with a false bottom so I haven't actually used one yet.

That thing looks awesome, so it sits over top of the ball valve in a keggle?

I guess I should have mentioned that I will be Batch sparging.That false bottom looks awesome. does it ever clog????

Latest posts

Back