Bayou Classic SQ14 - Initial Firing & Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieffenbach

Reaction score
Based on the suggestions of several members here, I purchased a Bayou Classic SQ14 burner as part of my expansion to a 5-10 gallon system. It came in the mail well constructed and with very little assembly required. I immediately installed an 8-inch windscreen using an HVAC starting collar also recommended here. While I am not particularly happy with the aesthetic that the windscreen provides, I think it will serve its function well.

My 15 gallon kettle from Spike Brewing hasn't yet arrived, but I wanted to test the burners ability and burn off some of that paint. I fired up the burner and started to play with the air/fuel ratio to "dial in" the burner's flame.

This morning I brought 2.5 gallons of 75-degreeF water to a rolling boil in 22 minutes (I was at mashing temperatures in half that time). I found it very difficult to determine the optimum air/fuel mixture as seeing the flames in daylight is quite difficult. And while I avoided cranking up the burner all the way (I thought that might waste energy/propane), the burner was definitely turned up enough to exhibit a low roar.

I wanted to ask the community here if my documented heating rate is consistent with what others here are experiencing with their SQ14 burners?

Seems about right if not a little slow. My flat bottom kettle seems to heat faster than my keggle. Takes me about an hour to get 12 gallons of sparge water up to 180* in my keggle with the sq14.

Dieffenbach said:
I found it very difficult to determine the optimum air/fuel mixture as seeing the flames in daylight is quite difficult. And while I avoided cranking up the burner all the way (I thought that might waste energy/propane), the burner was definitely turned up enough to exhibit a low roar.

I would suggest that your optimum air/fuel ratio for heating is both fuel and air at 100%. I start mine on full choke 1/2 throttle for the first minute or two (until the casting warms up) then I open both of them wide. I don't think you can give the flame too much oxygen once it's warmed up.
Cheers! :mug:

I've got a new SQ14. At half throttle it didn't impress me, taking forever to get to a simmer.

But wide open, it really does the business! Open it up all the way, adjust the mixture, stand back and watch the thermometer climb, and then judge it.

I appreciate the feedback - I will let her rip on my first brew day and see how it compares to my initial testing. I will report back with results in the event anyone else is concerned with boil times with the SQ14 (just another data point).

Back