Burner and Stockpot Upgrades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infestation

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new brewer (Have my second batch fermenting: a dubbel I cannot wait to try) and am already looking to upgrade a couple of pieces of gear. I definitely need to purchase a new burner, I have been using a natural gas stove top for my previous batches and have found that:
  • Takes forever to boil enough water. Literally half of my brew day is waiting to reach a boil, sucking the fun out of brewing.
  • After two batches, some minimal discoloration/aesthetic damage is apparent on the burners, and I do not want to have to worry about damaging an expensive stove top
Additionally, I have been using a stockpot that I can only reliably boil about 3 gallons in. I see myself moving to all grain or brew in a bag in the not too distant future, and will need a larger pot.

I am able to grab a used set: a 50,000 BTU Bayou Classic SQ14 Banjo Burner and a 44 quart Bayou Classic 1144 Stainless Kettle for a pretty good deal. Is 50,000 BTU going to feel limiting for full volume 5 gallon boils? Would this set be a good step up, or should I look into investing a little bit more into a burner now, and then purchase a larger pot when I decide to look into all grain? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

An 11 gallon kettle is fine for conventional all grain 5-6 gallon batches (using a separate mash/lauter tun).
Alas a bit small for most BIAB of the same unless you don't mind doing a dunk sparge on the side.

With BIAB the kettle needs to hold all your grain, all or most of the mash water, and still leave you with at least 2 or 3 inches of headspace so you can stir it without splashing it all over the place. It also needs a well fitting lid.

That burner looks a bit small for boiling 7-8 gallons of water/wort. It also lacks an integral windshield, essential IMO. I'd look for something bigger and better.

For the Bayou Classics if you are willing to wait, A “dented or scratched” option pops up occasionally which is half off. The one I got only had damage to the cardboard box and none to the kettle.

..I am able to grab a used set: a 50,000 BTU Bayou Classic SQ14 Banjo Burner and a 44 quart Bayou Classic 1144 Stainless Kettle for a pretty good deal...

You can certainly make that work.

I started with an SP10 burner (a downgrade from the SQ14 you're considering). I got it at a clearance price, and it did 5gal BIAB batches just fine. After a few years I upgraded to a KAB4, to reduce noise and ramp times.

I started out with a 15gal (60 quart) kettle, and that was one of the best decisions I've made. I never have to worry about boilovers, I don't have to add anything to my wort to control foaming, and I have the option of doing 10gal batches if I want to.

Depending on the price....

I had a King Kooker 54k or 58k (can't recall exactly), and while it wasn't fast, it did the job. It wasn't a banjo-style burner, so I'd expect yours to do at least as well.

And a 44-quart kettle is fine. I have a 10-gallon kettle and was able to do full BIAB brews without any trouble at all, so you should be able to do that with a kettle a gallon larger.

The SQ14 burner is 55k BTU, which will work ok for bringing 7-8 gallons to boil, though it takes a bit of time. I have one, but haven't used it in a few years and now use a Blichmann. The 11 gal kettle will be fine for 5 gal batches BIAB, though it might be a little tight if you're doing high-gravity brews. In that case, mash with all but a couple gallons of your strike water, setting the extra couple gallons aside. Then after the mash is complete, do a pour-over sparge with that extra water--literally pour it slowly over the bag while it's suspended above the kettle and allow that wort to drain in with the rest. You can do the pour-over while you're bringing the kettle to a boil.

Yes, that burner and pot should work well for 5 gal batches.

You don’t need the basket with the kettle imo.

A bag and ratchet pulley and your on your way to BIAB fun!!!!

Back