Bayou classic 800-410 10gallon help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilospencer

Reaction score
hey guys, I’m new to brewing beer, I just bought new bayou classic 800-410 brew pot, my question is, “how big of a batch(in gallons) can I make with 10 gallon pot?”, I’m using a beer kit(gumball head clone) with dry malt extract. I’m using a gas stove also. If I want to make a 8 gallon batch, how much extra water should I add to my pot because of boil off?

This is my recipe, I know it says it makes 5 gallons but what the max I can get?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 64
So you have 2 threads going asking what size or you can use. Your questions could have all been answered in one but I digress.

In terms of how big of a batch you can get, you'll have to look at your pot and your fermenter. Most fermenters hold 5 - 5.5 gallons safely which is why people do batches in increments of 5 gallons.

A 10 gallon pot might hold 7-8 gallons pre boil volume safely. I have a boil off rate of just over half a gallon so that would give you 6.5ish gallons going into a fermenter.

You don't want to over fill a fermenter because the yeast need room to expand and work. A 1-2 gallon head space is desirable in my opinion.

Recipe doesn't really matter with respect to boil size. I hope that helps. Good luck!

If you have a beer kit that was intended for a 5 gallon batch you can make 8 gallons of beer with it.. it will be very weak.
As far as boil off. The best thing is to put a couple gallons in the pot, boil for an hour and then measure the remaining volume.

Latest posts

Back