Bayou Burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merg

Reaction score
(I apologize if this is a repeated topic, but my super search powers are failing me.)

Pros and Cons, experiences, etc, would be appreciated. Especially where I've noted questions below.

I'm looking at Bayou Burners - specifically the SQ14 and KAB4 - and trying to decide which one is the best/most appropriate for what I want. I'll be using a keggle for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

KAB4 - more expensive, more BTUs, can cannibalize the banjo burner when I build a sculpture. I generally err towards more power, but it could be too high-pressure if I don't change out for a smaller regulator(?)

SQ14 - less expensive, less BTUs, more stable(?), easier to control heat(?) seems like more people are using this one.

Or another burner - suggestions?

I've got the SQ14 and I really like it. It can easily hold a half full keggle and not buckle under the weight. I have read that it can hold a full keggle as well although I have never filled mine up that much. It may have less BTU's than the other burner you're looking at but it does the job quite well for the batches I've done so far.

Side note: I'm a fairly new allgrainer, how many batches are you guys making with one 5lb propane tank?

I've got the SQ14 and I really like it. It can easily hold a half full keggle and not buckle under the weight. I have read that it can hold a full keggle as well although I have never filled mine up that much. It may have less BTU's than the other burner you're looking at but it does the job quite well for the batches I've done so far.

Side note: I'm a fairly new allgrainer, how many batches are you guys making with one 5lb propane tank?

The SQ-14 will easily support a full keggle and more and it is very stable. The SQ-14 BTU output is more than sufficient for a full keggle boil and probably more than that. A big plus is that they are easier on fuel consumption than the banjos.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the SQ14 in the name of lower upfront costs and fuel consumption, even though my manly pride wants the bigger BTUs.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the SQ14 in the name of lower upfront costs and fuel consumption, even though my manly pride wants the bigger BTUs.

You made a wise decision and I'm certain you won't regret it. The SQ-14 is the best value IMO and also one of the best performers. It's got a lot more power than you think. Don't pay too much attention to the BTU ratings. Many are highly inflated. IMO it's a marketing thing and they are attempting to snag you with the mine's bigger than yours angle. There's a limit to how much heat you can transfer through the bottom of a kettle no matter how much is applied. It's also not a linear relationship. Applying a lot more heat may get you to a boil somewhat faster, but at the expense of using a whole lot more fuel. If you have money to burn, this may not be an issue. It is for me. I can maintain a roiling boil with the burner control only open about 1/4th of the way.

I have the SQ14 and have only used it once...so far. Plenty of power to get my 6-7 gallons of wort to a rolling boil fairly quickly and with power to spare. You can't go wrong with the SQ14.

You made a wise decision and I'm certain you won't regret it. The SQ-14 is the best value IMO and also one of the best performers. It's got a lot more power than you think. Don't pay too much attention to the BTU ratings. Many are highly inflated. IMO it's a marketing thing and they are attempting to snag you with the mine's bigger than yours angle. There's a limit to how much heat you can transfer through the bottom of a kettle no matter how much is applied. It's also not a linear relationship. Applying a lot more heat may get you to a boil somewhat faster, but at the expense of using a whole lot more fuel. If you have money to burn, this may not be an issue. It is for me. I can maintain a roiling boil with the burner control only open about 1/4th of the way.

Either way I had planned to build a shroud to focus the flames.
I like the idea of being able to reuse the banjo burner when I build my brew stand, and I know I could use a lower pressure regulator to bring the fuel costs down; but that's more cash I've got to lay out to start.
As you guys have said, the SQ14 will be more than adequate until I get to the point where I'm ready to build.

Thanks again for the help, everybodies.

Either way I had planned to build a shroud to focus the flames.
I like the idea of being able to reuse the banjo burner when I build my brew stand, and I know I could use a lower pressure regulator to bring the fuel costs down; but that's more cash I've got to lay out to start.
As you guys have said, the SQ14 will be more than adequate until I get to the point where I'm ready to build.

Thanks again for the help, everybodies.

FYI, a low pressure regulator will not necessarily translate to lower fuel costs.

One more positive comment for Bayou Burners. The thing boils 6 gallons of water in no time.

SQ-14 is solid & powerful...the base is sturdy & platform can easily support a 9 gallon pot with room to spare.

Found mine on Amazon for $35 bucks & free shipping...:rockin:

Back