Batch sparking setup in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
Doing my first nonBIAB beer Tuesday and as I am tinkering with the recipe I have a few questions:
I am using the included "single infusion-full body batch sparge" profile.
Do I go into the mash profile and change the settings with every beer I brew? For example it has the mash temp set at 156 and I need it different so I changed it (In the mash step). When doing each beer am I supposed to go into the mash profile and adjust it every time?
Second question: I took out the 2 minute rise which I won't be doing. I only want to do a one step sparge so I unchecked the "use equal batches" box. What's throwing me is the "drain tun before sparge box". I'm at work so I can't watch tutorial videos, but don't you ALWAYS drain the tun before sparging? After the wort is clear, drain it all into the kettle, then add the sparge water and drain that?

Thanks. I work for another four hours or I would just look it up when I got home. Wanted to get a grasp on this

It does seem redundant if you've already chosen batch sparge, but you do need to check the "drain" box.

If you want a different profile from batch to batch then you do need to edit the profile in use.
If you find there's a mash profile you frequently use and it isn't set up exactly how you want, you can edit it and save it away to use again.
Note that changing a profile doesn't affect any previous recipes - you have to open a saved recipe, load in the new profile and save the recipe...

Cheers!

I am using the included "single infusion-full body batch sparge" profile.
Do I go into the mash profile and change the settings with every beer I brew? For example it has the mash temp set at 156 and I need it different so I changed it (In the mash step). When doing each beer am I supposed to go into the mash profile and adjust it every time?

Different mash profile settings bring up a different mash temp. So you can choose "medium" or "light" body instead of full body and get a different default temperature. But you can always go in and adjust the temperature manually.

Second question: I took out the 2 minute rise which I won't be doing. I only want to do a one step sparge so I unchecked the "use equal batches" box. What's throwing me is the "drain tun before sparge box". I'm at work so I can't watch tutorial videos, but don't you ALWAYS drain the tun before sparging? After the wort is clear, drain it all into the kettle, then add the sparge water and drain that?

That's the way I do it, too.

Back