Batch question: Rye Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mostly_Norwegian

Reaction score
I've a few questions about a recipe that me and my brew buddy put an addition on. It's the fifth batch, so we figured it's time to start stretching outside of the recipe to see what fits and what doesn't.
So, as a base the recipe was pretty much the Brewers Best Rye Pale
LME
6.6# CBW Rye
Grain
12 oz 2 row
1# flaked rye
8oz honey malt
4 oz munich
2 oz vienna
Hop
1 oz columbus
1 oz citra
and 2 oz cascade for dry hopping (single stage)

Wyeast 1056
Specials
12 oz turbinado sugar
two blood orange rinds

the og for about 3.3 gallons of wort was 1.078 and we kicked it up to five gallon with a water addition prior to pitching the yeast. Who are busy now doing their thing.
The lme was added in two stages: the first was added on boil and the second added after a 40 minute boil with the columbus which was left in for the duration. With the second LME addition we also included the orange rinds and sugar addition.
I actually don't know what the questions are, but anyone with some knowledge care to chime in? Within the parameters of a Rye, we were pondering a second and additional dry hopping with possibly a yakima magnum or maybe an amarillo or bring back the citra for a return visit. Each seem to have characteristics that could balance or contrast the billing nicely.
Okay, here come the questions.
That's an awful lot of rye going on innit? It sure smelled nice in the boil, and the taste was intriguing and that OG tells me we're in for a (wait for it...) ride.
I thought with the rye, it'd be interesting to bring in the turbinado sugar and throw on some blood orange for a pushing and pulling in the nose to flavor profiling.
AS this og is much larger than what the recipe calls for (a 1.05x og,) I plan to let the batch go flat in the fermenter prior to bottling which is probably in 4 - 5 weeks.
Not sure if we want to add any additional sugar on the fermentation possibly during the dry hopping. Advice? Or maybe even go and repitch with one of the dry hoppings. Not sure if it's needed, or even necessary for whatever reason we concoct. But for sake of discussion. I have a Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast in house. It seems neutral enough. What conflicts or compromises would that possibly create?
Also, we're using a 6.X gal bucket, not a carboy. As we brew at my homestead, should I worry about possible blow off with the higher og? I'm using a 3 piece airlock.

On the fermentation front. All is well and Local 1056 is being diligent and has already gotten to work on a batch brewed a little over 12 hours ago.

I'm not exactly following everything you've written here, but it sounds like you measured your OG before you topped off to 5 gallons with water? If so that 1.078 reading isn't going to be your true OG. Most likely you're closer to something like 1.052. So additional yeast shouldn't be necessary, and you definitely don't want to pitch yeast at the same time as your dry hops. Fermentation should be complete or very close to complete when you do your dry hop addition. Hope that helps...

You say you have a lot of rye. I can't agree or disagree because I don't know how much rye is in the LME (that is going to be a mix, likely mostly 2 row with only some rye). Again, I don't know the ratio so I don't know if you have a ton or only a little. My guess is you definitely have enough to taste it, which is what you want.

As far as a blowoff, I put a 1.108 OG stout on an existing yeast cake of 1056 and never got near a blowoff. Granted, I cooled to 58 and SLOWLY let the temp rise to 61 for the first week. That will really subdue yeast activity and it made for an extremely clean tasting beer. So you certainly aren't guaranteed a blowoff just because of your OG/yeast combo, but considering a length of tube only costs a buck, outfit a blowoff tube just in case. Then use it on all figure brews, just in case.

Thanks for the help.
As in my OP, my guess is the wort post cool down and prior to racking was in the 3.5 gal range. & Correct, we jumped the gun and I did the og prior to topping off to 5 gallons. That detail is in the memory banks now. Thank you.

The lme is Briess Rye: Base Malt, Rye Malt, Caramel Malt, 40l and water.

The primary house temperature is in the low 60ºf range. While the bucket itself right now is reading at 70ºf and the yeast is quite active.

So far so good and the beer smells like beer.

I just looked over my recipe and it had

6lbs pale DME
1 lb 2 row
1 lb rye malt
.5 lb flaked rye
.5 lb caramunich

Haven't sampled the finished product because I put it in a keg and haven't had the time to get my kegerator fully armed and operational.

However, it had a good rye flavor and a bit of a kick when I tasted the flat warm sample. I have high hopes for the rest of the batch. As it was a little IPA-ish, it turned out (again, a flat and warm sample) similar to Red's RyePA if you are familiar with founder's brewing.

I'm going to guess if you like rye you will like your brew.

I'm thinking it'll be a good one, and big. And yes. I did have the beginnings of a blowout happening using the airlock. So out came the sanitizer and into panic mode I went to keep things clean and to get a blowoff tube in place.
Love the Founders Red's RyePA. Solid beer.

Back