Batch Priming in primary - can it be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zbonaker

Reaction score
As a newbie homebrewer, I have just the basics to start... a single primary fermenting bucket... no secondary or bottling bucket.

For an upcoming batch, I'll be bottling in a couple different sized bottles. Outside of the fact bottling priming is tedious, I don't like the inconsistency in carbonation... let alone needing to measure and calculate different volumes of sugar in each bottle.

I know it's borderline blasphemy, but could I pour the sugar/water mix directly into the fermenting bucket (with spigot), give it a couple gentle stirs, then wait an hour or so before bottling (to let everything settle)?

Lastly, if this will work to some degree, is the calculation for typical carbonation with corn sugar 1oz for each gallon? Example - 5 gallon batch, use 5 oz corn sugar?

Although I know this isn't proper, any advice would be appreciated!

Somebody with more experience will likely chime in, but I wouldn't do that. Part of the reason for transferring to a bottling bucket is to get the beer off the yeast. You will move just enough yeast to help with priming. If you put the priming sugar in the primary, the yeast will awaken and have a feast. Thus you're going to have too much activity in the bottles and probably get bottle bombs.

As for measurement, I typically go 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gallons. I've been getting a bit too much carbonation so I'll be dialing it back a bit.

Hmm, that's disappointing... outside of the fact I have different sized bottles for this batch, I was hoping to learn a new method.

But, OK... makes sense. Probably not a good idea to batch prime with my setup, just hoping there was a way somehow.

So, on that note then, using corn sugar, what would be the amount to add to each bottle for 16oz and 1 liter?

I've only previously used 12oz before...

I've done it before with smaller batches, and it did work for me. I will point out that I got a bit more yeast dregs at the bottom of my bottles than I usually do, but after letting it settle out for 3 weeks, it tasted fine.

My safety disclaimer here is that although it should be 100% safe to do this, I did use PET bottles instead of glass. No bottle bombs to speak of, but if you bottle in glass and get some, don't come crying to me about the eye you lost. Hell, you've got two of them.

Back