Batch #3 - Please give me recommendations quick (brewing now)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockwise

Reaction score
OK. So I just bought a bunch of stuff from morebeer and figure I would experiment and just throw something together. This is batch #3 for me and I'm doing a very partial, partial mash. :p

I'm mashing 1 lb of american pale malt right now @ 160 for 30 min. I literally just put the grains in the water like 5 min ago. I'll be using Safale #5 for the yeast.

I'm going to boil 6 lbs light DME and some hops. That's what I'm unsure about. How much hops I should use and how long it should boil in the 60 min boil I'll do.

I've got 2 oz of Centennial pellets(12% alpha) and 2 oz of Meridian pellets(6.7% alpha) (this one sounds amazing). The flavor & aroma of the Meridian sounds awesome and I definitely want to show case it. To do that should I throw in at the end of the boil... like the last 5 min?

I was thinking boil 1 oz of the centennial for the full 60 min and 1 oz of the meridian for the last 5 min... would that get me the bitterness from the former and a lot of the flavor and aroma from the latter?

I love brewing! :rockin: :mug:

Edit: I'm going for a light/medium bodies, decently high ABV (5.75 - 6.25%), moderately hoppy pale ale.... not quite an IPA.... or maybe a "lighter" IPA.

I've never heard of Meridian. I'd throw 1 oz Centennial at 60, and another at 5. I'd throw the Meridian at 20 and 5.

I'm going to assume you will have 5 gallons of wort at the end of your boil. In that case you can expect an OG of roughly 1.058 and an ABV of roughly 6%. If you boil 1 oz of the Centennial that will give you about 55 IBUs (assuming a full volume boil). Then, yes, throw the remaining centennial and meridian in at 5 minutes to get more flavor/aroma from those. Sounds like you'll be pretty close to what you're looking for.

I've never heard of Meridian. I'd throw 1 oz Centennial at 60, and another at 5. I'd throw the Meridian at 20 and 5.

I think I want to only use 2 oz of hops total. Meridian is relatively new. Came out end of 2012 or 2013 I believe. It's supposed have a citrusy and lemon like flavor. I think the light DME will have a high level or perceptive bitterness so I don't want to overdo it.

I'm going to assume you will have 5 gallons of wort at the end of your boil. In that case you can expect an OG of roughly 1.058 and an ABV of roughly 6%. If you boil 1 oz of the Centennial that will give you about 55 IBUs (assuming a full volume boil). Then, yes, throw the remaining centennial and meridian in at 5 minutes to get more flavor/aroma from those. Sounds like you'll be pretty close to what you're looking for.

Yeah 5 gallons. It's getting to boiling temps now. I think I was more or less looking for some affirmation that I'm doing it OK.... lol

Latest posts

Back