Basic Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
How basic can a Saison recipe get?

Can I just do two row and some White Labs Saison II yeast and call it a day? I want to make a nice light ale for the ladies to drink but interesting enough that the guys would like it too. Will the Saison yeast bring some interesting flavor to such a basic recipe or should I add a little Munich/Carapils, etc... for some body? Nutmeg?
Thanks

A little munich and/or wheat malt is good in my opinion. I also like to use Belgian pilsener malt instead of two row but I'm sure that would work just fine. I wouldn't worry about adding any spices personally, the two times I've used the WL Saison II yeast it gave me plenty of that stuff once I drove the temperatures into the 80's and low 90's.

For a basic Saison, I would say Pilsner malt for at least 90% of the grist, with some Vienna, Munich, and/or wheat making up the final percentage. You could also try oats or rye. I think that's a good place to start, especially if you want to learn a "basic Saison."

Of course the process is what really defines a Saison, meaning fermentation temps, yeast count, mash temps/procedures, etc.

A Saison can be very basic. Mostly Pils, a little Munich or Wheat, some sugar to help dry it out. Noble hops to a BU:GU ratio of about .48. I recently used some Strisselspalt in a Saison that were a great addition. But any noble hop will work.

Saison yeast will ferment low so if you want a light beer then don't get the OG too high. It is not uncommon to finish at 1.004 or lower.

Back