Bash My Recipe/Procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
My first allgrain(ish) brew. Not sure if this is the place for this thread, but here it is.

I need serious help regarding the procedure as I'm still tryin' to figure out how this cereal mash and no extract thing works.

Cream Ale

Corn - 1.75lb (whole kernel, milled to powder)
6-Row - 7lb (cracked)
Cluster - 1oz @ 60min
Yeasties - 5g Safale US-05

Cereal Mash
1. all ground corn + .7lb cracked 6-row + water added in pot until smooth but creamy
2. heat to 122F. Cover 15min and stir
3. heat to 149F. Cover 15min stir
4. boil 30min

Main Mash/Boil
5. combine cereal mash and rest of cracked 6-row in bag with water
6. heat to 152F for 90min
7. drain bag over brewpot
8. boil for 90min
9. add hops at 60min
10. chill to fermentation temp
11. pitch yeast

Ferment 2-3weeks at 60-65F
Bottle and lager 2 weeks at 40F(ish)

How does this look? What do I have wrong? Because I know I have something wrong. :drunk:

thats a long ass day. a 60min mash alone is probably plenty. same with the boil 60mins is fine unless you need to boil off volume or something.

All 6-row might be a bit grainy (I've never used it, but that's what everyone says about it). Maybe use 4lbs of 2-row and 3lbs of 6-row (conversion won't be a problem with that amount of corn).

Your process looks good, but will still be awkward and sticky with the corn. It's a PITA to work with. Unless you are absolutely set on whole corn, do yourself a favour and replace it with flaked corn (no cereal mash needed) - the few $$$ it costs is worth it. You'll probably still need some rice-hulls with flaked corn though - it's fairly sticky.

thats a long ass day. a 60min mash alone is probably plenty.

Yea it does seem long which was one of my concerns. I was reading Cream of Three Crops recipe and the creator suggested 90 min mash and boil for max attenuation and cleaner taste which is what I'm looking for. Not enough experience to know if I'll get that from the extra 30mins though.

All 6-row might be a bit grainy

Your process looks good, but will still be awkward and sticky with the corn. It's a PITA to work with. Unless you are absolutely set on whole corn, do yourself a favour and replace it with flaked corn

I am sticking to 6row and whole corn only because I have unlimited access (within reason) to it at the distillery I work. I plan on spending the next month working out a good recipe and procedure I can brew up regularly and be happy with. And right now I feel this cream ale isn't very time efficient though the cost for a 5 gallon batch is 6 bucks (hops and yeast).

You can use corn that is milled to a power, although it only really needs to be milled to about 5 to 10 pieces per kernel. It will be sticky though, even with BIAB.

You don't need flavour or aroma hops, it depends on your personal tastes (do you prefer beer with, or without, hop flavour and aroma?).

In your situation, I'd be doing whatever I could to remove the need to boil the corn - it's a PITA. Another method you could use to gelatinise the corn is to put it in a cooler (or a well insulated container) a day before brewing, with boiling water (at least 5 quarts). Even better would be to leave it a bit longer, with a pound of malt added to the corn once it has dropped to 160F. That would help to convert some starch in the cooler and make the main mash a bit less sticky.

You can use corn that is milled to a power, although it only really needs to be milled to about 5 to 10 pieces per kernel. It will be sticky though, even with BIAB.

You don't need flavour or aroma hops, it depends on your personal tastes (do you prefer beer with, or without, hop flavour and aroma?).

In your situation, I'd be doing whatever I could to remove the need to boil the corn - it's a PITA. Another method you could use to gelatinise the corn is to put it in a cooler (or a well insulated container) a day before brewing, with boiling water (at least 5 quarts). Even better would be to leave it a bit longer, with a pound of malt added to the corn once it has dropped to 160F. That would help to convert some starch in the cooler and make the main mash a bit less sticky.

I think I will go through with the milled corn this time so I can get experienced in cereal mashing. I'm sure I'll learn the troubles of corn and switch to flaked afterwards.

VERY helpful. Thank you

This is ambitious for a first brew. I realize you have free corn and 6row, maybe find a recipe using just 6row. Corn is not used by beginners frequently.

This is ambitious for a first brew. I realize you have free corn and 6row, maybe find a recipe using just 6row. Corn is not used by beginners frequently.

I've brewed maybe 20 extract batches. This is first all grain. I decided to switch it up and make a KY Common (basically same recipe) instead and use flaked corn for the first BIAB go round

Back