Basement Electric Brewery Under Construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menhir

Reaction score
Work has begun on my basement brewery. I have a 10x11 foot room that will be dedicated to brewing beer and mead.

Roughout electrical work is underway. All wiring has been pulled. I got my 240v 30 amp GFCI breaker installed today and work on the outlets is in progress. Once the electrical work is finished it will be time to cut a hole for the range hood.

I will keep you all posted as things progress.

brewroom4-1-15a.jpg

brewroom4-1-15b.jpg

brewroom4-1-15c.jpg

oh man, i'm jealous! i thought i was awesome getting a garage for my "project room" but nope... you rule lol

Good luck with the build! Looks like you are on the right road and good to hear you are planning ventilation already...You don't want a raincloud to form in your basemement during brewday as has happened with others here that have overlooked proper ventilation for exhausting condensation..
Looking good so far and keep us updated!

Good luck with the build! Looks like you are on the right road and good to hear you are planning ventilation already...You don't want a raincloud to form in your basemement during brewday as has happened with others here that have overlooked proper ventilation for exhausting condensation..
Looking good so far and keep us updated!

I'm not worried about ventilation problems. The 36" vent hood I bought goes as high as 760 CFM. I'm hoping I can use it on a medium setting so it won't be too loud but it won't hurt to have the extra power if I need to clear the air.

That is going to be awesome! I look forward to the updates.

Update 4-11-15:

Worked a bit more on the wiring. Got two more junction boxes finished and cut a hole though the wall for the vent hood exit. I won't be installing the 36" vent hood until after the wall coverings are on.

Next up, installing 4'x8' FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) panels on the walls. Hope to get this done next week.

hood vent.jpg

Update 4-17-15:

Had a busy day yesterday working on the brew room. We got most of the FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) up on the walls. Still have one full and one partial sheet left to install. I chose to use FRP for the wall coverings due to its easy maintenance. Spray and wipe and the walls are clean. No more need to worry about messing up the paint.

I've got a real busy schedule next week so it looks like it will likely be 10 days before I can finish the wall covering. After that, I will be installing the 36" vent hood.

brewroom4-17-15.jpg

Looking good. I have almost the exact same build planned. My space is 10'x10' and all I have is one wall so far but I've acquired all the needed materials. Just need to find some time. Ill post my build when I get some actual work done. What all are you planning on cramming in the space? My plan is a 2bay SS sink/worktable , Keezer, Ferm Chamber, and enough shelving for carboys/grains/etc. Going to take some serious space management to squeeze it all in I think.

Looking good. I have almost the exact same build planned. My space is 10'x10' and all I have is one wall so far but I've acquired all the needed materials. Just need to find some time. Ill post my build when I get some actual work done. What all are you planning on cramming in the space? My plan is a 2bay SS sink/worktable , Keezer, Ferm Chamber, and enough shelving for carboys/grains/etc. Going to take some serious space management to squeeze it all in I think.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how you approach things.

I picked up a used SS double sink that has drain boards on both sides. I should have lots of room for dirty stuff on one side and drying room for sanitized items on the other. I'm going to have 3 SS tables along one wall. The small middle one will be on casters and be used as my brew station for my 15 gallon BrewBoss system. The left table will be for lab equipment (pH meter, hydrometers, stir plate, etc.) The table on the right will be for carboys and bottling. I plan to mount 2 FastFermenters on the wall over the extreme right side of the table. My basement stays a very consistent 65 to 67 degrees year round so I've never bothered to build a fermentation chamber. I'm also going to get a cabinet that has both drawers and shelves for storage. Off of my brew room I've got a closet with two heavy duty shelves that will be my bottle storage and aging area.

Update 5-1-2015:
Finally found some time to get some more work done on my brew room. I got the vent hood fully installed. It has a four speed fan that at top speed operates at 760 CFM. That's really more than I should need so I'm hoping to operate it at lower speeds so that it's quieter.
Next up: Finish the wall outlets, sheetrock repair, and touch up painting.

Vent Hood 1.jpg

Vent Hood 2.jpg

Wish I had a basement.... Looking good so far. Got the garage converted and the 240 wired and set up today.

Update 5-1-2015:

Finally found some time to get some more work done on my brew room. I got the vent hood fully installed. It has a four speed fan that at top speed operates at 760 CFM. That's really more than I should need so I'm hoping to operate it at lower speeds so that it's quieter.

Next up: Finish the wall outlets, sheetrock repair, and touch up painting.

Basement brewery is looking great!! I also just recently finished a similar project build around the brewboss system. One thing I can add is to make sure you keep at least 46" of clearance between the top of your table and the bottom of you vent hood. These are some pictures of my system with the 46" of clearance. If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430788760.239977.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430788777.072403.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430788810.087021.jpg

Update 5-7-15: Made a little more progress the other day but don't have a picture to post. All electrical is now done. The sheet rock patch in the ceiling has been started.

Next up: Finish sanding and priming of the patch area then touch up painting of the upper walls and ceiling. Don't have that much to paint since the FRP extends 8 feet up the walls.

@Base2Brewery: Nice brew set up! I'm also going to be brewing with a 15 gallon Brew Boss COFI unit. I noticed you have a cable winch installed in your hood. I'm assuming it's hooked to an electric winch? I'm going to be brewing on a stainless steel table that is on casters so that I can move it away from the vent hood. I'm thinking about installing a railing on the ceiling that I can connect an electric winch to. My plans are to wheel the brew cart under the winch, lift out the COFI unit, let it drain, then slide it on the rail to the nearby sink, and then lower it on to the drainboard. Then I can push the brew table back under the vent hood and begin the boil.

Here are the humble beginnings of my "above ground" basement brewery...All I "really" need to do is convert my boil kettle to electric and add a hood.

Just moving into a new house and BAMB! It has a dedicated brew room! SWMBO idea to use it for that! Yeah, she is a keeper!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20150506_195835261_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150506_195844070_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150506_195850773.jpg

Latest posts

Back