Barware (Cocktail Oriented)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quix0tic

Reaction score
So, I'm starting to set up the ol' home bar, and had a few questions for the veterans (or anybody who enjoys a good cocktail).

Mainly, what's a trusted brand of barware? I'm looking for the basics, especially the shaker/Boston shaker. I'm looking for something that's not over the top expensive, and don't need anything fancy - basic form and excellent function, worth the price. I figure I can pull together a lot of the other pieces as I go, working from what I have on hand to a much more organized set that looks like it belongs together and whatnot.

Also, what's a good place to look for glassware? I'm looking for plain, undecorated glasses: cocktail, highball, old fashioned, etc. that are again, functional and quality over just fancy lookin'.

Thanks for any help you can offer in my quest to branch out from beer (but never to forget where I came from! ;) )

hit your local restaurant supply store.
you will save $$$$ and find perfectly acceptable glassware.

don't buy spendy glass.
spend the $$$ on better booze. :mug:

For about $0.50 per glass, you should go to your local thrift stores. It might take you longer to build a collection, and everything might not match, but you can find some pretty neat/funky glasses for cheap.

Look for Libby and Anchor Hocking glassware. Libby you can find in Restaurant Supply shops (Rapids Wholesale, Superior Products) and Anchor you can find pretty much everywhere... even Wal-Mart.

All my highball glasses and coolers/boston shakers are Libby but I had to buy two dozen of each. I found some that both my wife and I liked and we use a dozen for our kitchen glasses with some stored away in case of breakages.

I use beer tulip and goblets for margaritas and any drinks that need hurricane glasses. Mixed drinks go in highball glasses along with any "rocks" drinks. Wine glasses are sort of special purpose so I have a dozen red and a dozen white. Champagne flutes can be used for some belgian beer, so get a few of those as well.

That doesn't include my pints, pilsners and Oktoberfest mugs. :D

EDIT: Reading through, it sounds like a lot of glassware. We host a few parties a year with up to 30 people attending. They get used.

We ended up with Pottery Barn old fashioned and highball glasses because HWMBO is super picky about them having a perfectly flat bottom, and I must admit, even with my extreme clumsiness, they've held up admirably.

For a shaker, try to get an insulated one, like a coffee mug. Ours is SS, and inserts into a plastic sleeve type thing with an o-ring. If you're doing lots of mixing, this makes a huge difference, it doesn't freeze your hand off after a drink or 2.

Back