Barrel Stand Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlrose16

Reaction score
I just acquired some very special 60gal barrels and need to build stands for them (preferably at rackable heights). Does anyone have plans/pictures for DIY barrel stands that I can build? I'd rather build out of wood than buy steel stands for 500 bucks... please help! Thanks! :D

We took angle iron and made a square. Sized it so it just fit a barrel. We have 4 wheels for each base that are going to get welded on. This way each barrel is independent and can be moved easily for cleaning. Simple design. It keeps the barrels at a workable height too.

I should have some pictures tomorrow with the wheels mounted.

I'm now considering just building a simple wooden cradle for the barrels on ground level and racking under pressure (low pressure) when I need to... putting a barrel up at racking height seems scary without doing a ton of metal work.

Here are some pics of what we did with our barrels. They are going to the welder tomorrow to have fittings welded in.

2010-07-19_18_35_33.jpg

2010-07-19_19_07_25.jpg

where are you going to mount your pumps? Looks like you'll only have about 10" above the floor.

I am going to mount the pumps just about on the floor. They will be on a shelf in our stand. There will not be much drop but I am hoping to make due. I am not using a magnetic head pump, I purchased two of these Pumps

I may have to install some sort of siphon valve to help things along. I will know more when I do some testing.

I'm not a pump expert but I don't think I would use the pump you linked to. 1/20 HP is not a lot of power to pump through chiller, whirlpool, filter, ect.

Have you looked at these?

I feel like I have looked at every pump on the planet. I picked the Dayton pump because of a recommendation from someone on HBT who uses one. It should be fine for my purposes. The little giant pumps only have 1/2 outputs. I want 3/4 in and out. All of my connections and tubing are 3/4.

Also I just checked my march pump specs. That motor is 1/100 hp. So I am not too worried about having enough power.

most home brewers use the March 809 HS which is 1/25 HP. Using quick-disconnects (which limit some flow) and a 50ft CFC 1/25 HP is barely getting it done.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I was planning on building a bigger brewstand for my barrels but you make a good point about being keeping the barrels mobile. I guess I would just raise the stands at least a 1ft off the ground.

The mobile stands are the way to go for sure. Already just moving the barrels around the garage have been so easy. Plus with them on such a low stand you have really good access to the inside of the barrel. I have no desire to stand on a ladder or on a step of some sort to work inside the tanks. My stands keep the top of the barrel at around my belly button. I can reach in and touch the bottom of the barrels.

I think you have just convinced me to build three mobile carts but also build an elevated platform. That way i can mount everything to a platform and roll the barrels into their proper place. I'm also fortunate enough to have a good friend who loves my beer and can tig weld with the best of them.

How do you plan on removing the spent grains?

Latest posts

Back