barrel of monkeys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toga

Reaction score
I brewed up another batch of psudo wit (ends up a bit orange) using the recipe below. It started off really slow compared to the other batches I have done with the same recipe so I upped the temp via a brew belt for a couple days then turned it off when the temp rocketed up to 80 degrees or so. It came right back down within a matter of hours of removing the brew belt. Fermentation took longer than normal and took 12 days or so to finish. The average temp was 72 degrees with the exception of the 80 degree skyrocket that lasted no more than 8 hours. It sat in primary for 4 weeks from the day I pitched the yeast. When I bottled it it smelled and tasted like every other batch I have made to date. I gave it 3 weeks in the bottle to the day and popped the top and poured out a brew that had enough banana flavor to make a barrel of monkeys smile rather than a clean crisp slightly orange/spiced brew. It tastes good but it is not what I was expecting. I did not notice the banana smell or flavor at bottling time. It did not show up till now. Is it possible I may have over looked it or the yeast got stressed during the carb process when the temps rose to around 76 for a couple days immediately after bottling? Also Is there any hope of the banana flavor mellowing out with age?

OG .049
FG .009
1 hour 3 gallon boil
1 can coopers wheat malt extract
1 can coopers light malt extract
1oz hersbrucker 45 min
1oz hersbrucker 15 min
1oz sweet orange peel 15 min
1/4 oz coriander 15 min
1 pack of Safbrew S-33

Add extracts once at full boil, bring back to boil then add first oz of hops, boil 45 min, add flavoring hops + orange peel + coriander boil for last 15 minutes

I don't know if it will mellow over age, you'll just have to test them and see :D! It will definitely change over time.

Wheat malt will give banana flavors, but I think for your next batch go with some Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier yeast.

Your very high fermentation temperatures are likely what caused the banana flavor. Next time, relax and let your beer do its thing. You probably didn't need to use a brew belt to heat the fermenter if you were already at 72F. Some fermentations are faster/slower than others depending on a variety of factors.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I DO have a question for you. You say this recipe ends up a bit orange. I just brewed this recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/blood-orange-hefeweizen-98579/
with 4 oranges and 2 oranges worth of zest and it barely has a hint of orange to the final product. Don't get me wrong, it is DELICIOUS, but I don't see how you are getting an orangey-wit with only 1 oz of peel.

My last weizenbier turned out very orange just from the wheat malt alone. There were no fruit additions to it, so it's not your oranges that turn it orange, it's the malt.

EDIT: Well, with blood oranges it will contribute reddish/orange coloring, but I'm just saying that with my wheat only beer, it still came out very orange. Maybe that was due to scorching...?

itchthy I think you may be right. I'm just stumped by the fact I did not smell or taste bananas when I bottled it.

r_flagg I have had great success with the s-33 in previous batches.

JangelJ It was an oz of dried sweet orange peel. Previous batches have not been overly heavy on the orange flavor. It is more present when young then mellows with age. It is normally a very well balanced brew with a little orange and a little spice note from the coriander and yeast. A real pleasant brew. This batch I can taste a little of the spice note but everything is over powered by the banana smell and taste. Totally threw me for a loop after the success I have had with this recipe for past batches. If time does not fix this one I will still enjoy this mistake as it is still a tasty brew :)

If I recall, fermenting on the high end of those yeasts gives you bananas and the low end gives you cloves. Not sure why you wouldn't smell/taste before bottling. Maybe your nose was stuffy. :mug:

I don't think that you need to be as worried about temp control during bottle conditioning. A little higher heat shouldn't be the culprit of the banana flavor. At bottling time, there is just enough sugar to give the yeast a little push, but not enough to let them do anything serious.

I have noticed differences in flavors based on the level of carbonation. The escaping CO2 seems to help bring some of the fragrances up to the top. How does it taste when flat? I hope they mellow out for you.

It tasted pretty good flat when I tasted it before bottling. It was a little off from the previous batches but not by much. I had another bottle last night and rather enjoyed it. I'll drink this one quick to free up bottles for the next batch. Thanks for the replies :ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Back