Barrel infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have these 5 gallon barrels. I had rum in them for awhile but then put in 2 different beers for around 2 weeks each. My third beer has been in around 12 days. Today, one of them blew the bung out and started foaming out of the top. The beer was approximately 2 weeks old when I put it in the barrel. It was fermented in a temperature controlled chamber at 66 deg. It has been in my basement which is around 60 deg for 2 weeks in the barrel. The beer tastes fine. Is this an infection or maybe some minute temp change caused some additional fermentation?

1398038392270.jpg

2 things.... 2 weeks in the barrel is not very long; i recommend at least 6 weeks.

As far as infection; what was your gravity going into the barrel?

So the first beer in the barrels was a Scottish Wee Heavy fermented with English ale yeast. The second was a iipa fermented with California ale yeast. The current beer is a Russian imperial stout fermented with English ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back