barrel aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmann

Reaction score
I ended up with one of the balcones whiskey barrels, and have a barley wine in there for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how long to leave it? Also storage after I rack it?

btmann said:
I ended up with one of the balcones whiskey barrels, and have a barley wine in there for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on how long to leave it? Also storage after I rack it?

I had a 7.5%abv American Stout in mine for 1.5 weeks and it was a little over oaked for my tastes, but since I'm planning on aging it out 6-8 months, it should be perfect.

I went from the barrel into a carboy to bulk age for the majority of that time, then will bottle and condition for as long as I can keep it around.

I just got a 5 gallon whiskey barrel myself. How full did you fill the barrel? Was there any head space left in the barrel? It was recommended to me that I should not have any headspace in the barrel. I have about 6.5 gallons in my primary and want to make sure after transferring I will have enough considering trub on the bottom of the primary.

Then again if this is a freshly empty barrel and I only have it I for a short period of time, will it even matter with this batch. I say this based on the 3-3-3 method mentioned in this thread.

What if my barrel dries out in storage, is there a way to bring it back so I can use it again?

What if my barrel dries out in storage, is there a way to bring it back so I can use it again?

You can get it to hold liquid again by fill it repeatedly, or soak it if it is a small one. However, you will need to sanitize it somehow. If it has been sitting a while, it has likely picked up some critters you do not want in your fermented beverage. From macro, ie spiders, crickets or even mice, to a host of bacteria and fungi.

Perhaps a small keg you could rinse well and condition with hard liquor or something. My experience is only with large kegs. I found, the hard way, that if the keg has dried out in the cellar to the point it needs to be re swollen, it is probably best to get a new one rather than put 50 gallons of fresh cider in it.

Yes, fill it with hot water it will take some time to get watertight if it is very dry, but eventually it will, but if any spots still leak you can use barrel wax. To rid yourself of chloramine mix add campdon which will also sanitize the inside further. Some people wrap empties in Saran to help hold in moisture.

Thanks you so much! It's been in my closet under a pile of winter clothes so it should be fairly clean(5 gal). I guess I'll swell it with hot water and refill it with rum.......

Back