Barrel Aging Questions: Base Beer / Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The past 2 beers I've barrel aged (both stouts) spent ~4-6 weeks in primary (on yeast cake) before transferring to the barrel. What's common practice with regards to filling a barrel with base beer? Let it sit for a few months? Fill barrel after primary is complete + a few weeks of yeast cleaning? Any reason to think one way is better than the other? I've heard of some aging their stouts 3-6months before adding to a barrel. What are the specific pros/cons?

Also, is anyone familiar with barrel again lagers (doppelbock)? Give the barrel will most likely sit at room temp, is it preferred to lager and then add to barrel after primary/secondary/lagering or would it be acceptable to barrel age after diacetyl rest?

I’ve barrel aged three beers. I basically waited the same amount of time I would wait to bottle. These were big beers, so 3-4 weeks the transfer to the barrel. Aging in the barrel went from 7-8 weeks for the first use to 8-9 months for the last use. I don’t see any reason to bulk age first as that will happen while in the barrel.

I'm also curious about this topic. I'm currently in the market for a barrel. I have two big beers taking up fermenter space. I was thinking now would be a good time to put one in a barrel. I was also curious about how much time a beer should stay in the barrel. I have an American stout with an O.G. of 1.085 and an Old ale with an O.G. of 1.003

In my experience barrel size determines time needs. A 5 gallon bbl has a the highest surface area relative to volume of beer. As the barrel size increases the surface area to volume declines. As the surface area declines it takes longer to extract flavor from the barrel.

I leave beers in a five gallon bbl for 4-6 weeks
10 gallon bbls get 6-8weeks
And 15 gallon bbls get 10+ weeks in a bbl. this assumes it’s a first use bbl.

I get two clean beers out of a bbl before I move them to sour production.

Sours are a different story as your working with bugs to develop the flavors not necessarily the wood or previous contents.

I haven’t lagered in barrels. I don’t see a benefit of lagering at room temp but I would not necessarily be concerned with a drest as the extended aging would allow the yeast enough time to clean up off flavors. That assumes your keeping temps relatively close to fermentation temps.

After 2 beers there isn't any barrel flavor left?

After two batches the bourbon flavor is mostly gone. You’d still get some oak.

The bigger issue is wild yeast lacto and pedio. Lacto is present on grain and you most likely have it in your brew space. After a few months you run a risk of cross contamination in the barrel. So it’s a risk to go past two or three clean beers.

Back