Barrel-Aging Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna fill a freshly emptied 55g Tritacale barrel in November with stout hopefully.

Have two 15g barrels that I am running a solera type wild/sour project. Going well so far. Goal is to have soured blonde ale on tap 24/7 and to refresh barrels every 3 months or so. First pull for keg should be ready in a month or so. I've given up on bottle conditioning soured beers, never worked for me. Will counter pressure any bottles moving forward.

Just got a freshly dumped white port barrel that was filled in 08 in new fresh oak. Smells like cognac. I am going to sulfer it today and fill with saison base in the next few weeks. Solera it until I add bugs.

If I don't report back it means that the barrel blew up on me.

Just got a freshly dumped white port barrel that was filled in 08 in new fresh oak. Smells like cognac. I am going to sulfer it today and fill with saison base in the next few weeks. Solera it until I add bugs.

If I don't report back it means that the barrel blew up on me.
If it's fresh and smells good, why sulphur?

Got a line on local gin barrels if you want to get freaky. :cool:

I'd love to know if these barrels are available. I've got two 15 gallon gin barrels which have produced a couple of the best beers I've ever consumed not to mention the best I've ever made myself (gin barrel mixed fermentation saison aged on Missouri peaches and gin barrel golden sour aged on Ataulfo Mangos). I need more gin barrels!

I'd love to know if these barrels are available. I've got two 15 gallon gin barrels which have produced a couple of the best beers I've ever consumed not to mention the best I've ever made myself (gin barrel mixed fermentation saison aged on Missouri peaches and gin barrel golden sour aged on Ataulfo Mangos). I need more gin barrels!

+1 on gin BA beer. I added gin soaked oak to raspberry and peach berliners and both turned out awesome. Not to mention all the great gin BA stuff from Upright and de Garde.

+1 on gin BA beer. I added gin soaked oak to raspberry and peach berliners and both turned out awesome. Not to mention all the great gin BA stuff from Upright and de Garde.

It works so well with my mixed fermentation Saison and the peaches just take it to a new level. Think botanical gin soaked peach-os, slight lacto tartness, brett funk, all at 8% abv. It's easily top three beers I've ever brewed.

Yep, I believe they wanted $150-175 per 33gal barrel iirc.

I've got a few experiments going with strong ales aging on oak cubes to try to see how close I can get to actual barrel aged flavors. My best result so far has been aging on 0.2 oz/gal american oak boiled a few minutes for ~6 months. I've been adding spirits separately once I'm happy with the oak character. Nothing to compare to actual barrel flavors yet, but getting slightly closer to that woody vanilla goodness.
  • Barleywine
    • 0.2 oz/gal american oak cubes boiled 3 min vs. no oak (control)
  • Imperial stout
    • 0.2 oz/gal american oak cubes boiled 3 min vs. 0.2 oz/gal french oak boiled 3 min
  • Next imperial stout
    • 0.2 oz/gal american oak cubes boiled 3 min vs. 0.2 oz/gal american oak boiled 30 seconds
  • Future ideas for experiments
    • 0.3+ oz/gal
    • oak cubes with a small amount of oak chips towards the end
    • oak cubes for 1 year+
    • oak cubes vs. oak cubes split in half
    • oak soaked in spirits vs. oak & spirits added separately
    • cubes vs. spirals

I could send you a bottle of my gin barrel peach saison that would change your mind.
giphy.gif

Was all set to brew a BSPA today until I went to make a starter last night and realized that I ordered packs of Wyeast 1318 (which I've been using a lot lately) instead of 1388 :mad:

Yes. As a fan of Rye whiskey, I really dig the triticale.

Full size 53 gallon? I imagine that would have some excellent effects on a big stout, love me some rye whiskey and rye whiskey BA beers but I've never had triticale. They sell it at the beer/liquor shop I go to, will have to stop in and snag a bottle soon.

ISO: 5 gallon wine barrels.. These even a thing? I doubt it but damn do I want to throw some saison into a wine barrel without brewing 55 gallons.

For those of you who have packaged high gravity BA beer, have you had better results to bottle from the get go or keg and bottle from the keg later?
I'd bottle off the keg. Not ****ing with bottle conditioning high abv stouts that spent time in a barrel. Nail your carb and get on with life.

Back