Barrel Aging and air locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny9

Reaction score
If using a barrel for secondary aging, it an airlock necessary versus filling to brim and then adding a rubber stopper. Obviously I would need to be certain that the beer had reached terminal gravity.

This is for a first use (non-sour) beer. I am thinking the answer for a sour barrel would be Yes - use an air lock.

thanks

I have a new barrel, and am wondering the same thing. I would assume that an airlock wouldn't hurt anything.

I use an airlock with a barrel. At least in the beginning, there is some dissolved CO2 that gets released in the transfer. Probably after a few days you could replace it, but I'd rather monitor an airlock and come home to a barrel that blew the stopper.

I use an airlock with a barrel. At least in the beginning, there is some dissolved CO2 that gets released in the transfer. Probably after a few days you could replace it, but I'd rather monitor an airlock and come home to a barrel that blew the stopper.

I was thinking along these lines as well. Allow a few days to make sure all is calm. The stand that comes with those Balcones 5 gallon barrels allow them to be stacked but only without an airlock on top

Thanks

My RIS hit its FG over a week and a half ago. Still put an airlock on the barrel just to make sure it doesn't pop a stopper off when I'm not home.

After racking my first beer into my bourbon barrel all was fine and calm. But when I moved it 30 feet to its resting place the CO2 in suspension was released and foaming occurred (duh). So an airlock was definitely needed.

Took about a day to settle back down.

If you fill it to the brim and put a rubber stopper in it, you would also risk temperature change (increase in temperature causing expansion of the liquid) pushing the plug out.

Back