Barrel aged cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadymi

Reaction score
I am planning on making a 50 some gallon batch of barrel aged cider in my JD barrel. I will let it age over the winter in my garage. My questions are:

1. Should I primary for a few days in plastic containers to avoid so much trub in the keg?

2.I am planning on adding very little sugar so my ABV will be low, what will the shelf life of this cider be?

3.How do i calculate how adding a certain amount of sugar will affect my ABV? For example adding 1/2# sugar / gallon will increase ABV by how much?

4. Any other questions I should be asking?

i have never put anything into a barrel in my life, so i'm just guessing here, but isn't the idea (as you say above) to make barrel-aged cider, not barrel-fermented cider? i wouldn't put it in until it was nice and clear in the primaries or secondaries. or else you are going to airlock the barrel? good luck regardless!

isn't the idea (as you say above) to make barrel-aged cider, not barrel-fermented cider? i wouldn't put it in until it was nice and clear in the primaries or secondaries.

BINGO! Dinnerstick is right, wait till that cider is nice & clear & then rack it to the barrel. Regards, GF.

If this is your first cider I would avoid the barrel. I read in a book that there are a lot of problems with barrels. It did suggest if you are using a used whiskey barrel, use one that was only used once for whisky or it will leach chemicals that will add off flavors.

But I have never tried it.

Some people add oak chips to the Brew for a similar flavor, but I haven't tried that either.

Thanks all
I made several different ciders last year and considered them all a success.
What ABV do I need to aim for to have a cider that will store and age well?

Latest posts

Back