Barleywine stuck at 1.030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalenSevinne

Reaction score
O.G. was 1.090. The recipe says it should be 9.3% alcohol. It has been 11 days and been at 1.030 for the past 5 so I am thinking it is finished fermenting?

What are my options here? It should have been down to 1.020 to get the 9.3%.

Your yeast could have maxed out, what were you using?

Were you doing all grain? Then the mash temp would matter as well...

Your yeast could have maxed out, what were you using?

Were you doing all grain? Then the mash temp would matter as well...

Wyeast 1728. No it was extract.

14 lbs of extract, steeping grains, 7 oz. of various hops, partial boil, late extract.

If the yeast has maxed out, how will this beer end up?

1728 is specd for 69-73% apparent attenuation (average, of course). You're at 66.7%, so you're really not far off of the spec. 1.020 would be 77.8% attenuation, so I seriously doubt you'd reach that with this yeast using extract. The fermentability of extracts varies quite a bit, and there's not a lot you can do to change it. Mashing yourself you might have a shot since you have more control.

you could try to rouse the yeast a bit by swirling the fermentor and maybe try to warm it up a bit. That might get it going a little bit to get you to the finish line.

Did you use a starter? For high gravity beers, you should get your yeast cell count pretty high so your yeast doesn't get stressed.

Back