Barleywine Pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wavewalker

Reaction score
Can anyone offer estimates for the cost of ingredients for a barleywine? I'm sure the cost can vary, but I'm just looking to get an idea.

$1000.

Are you doing extract or AG? Do you buy your ingredients in bulk? I recently did an extract barley wine and I don't think it was too expensive because I buy hops by the pound and 50 lb bags of DME. I would think it cost me ~$40 for 2 cases

$1000.

Are you doing extract or AG? Do you buy your ingredients in bulk? I recently did an extract barley wine and I don't think it was too expensive because I buy hops by the pound and 50 lb bags of DME. I would think it cost me ~$40 for 2 cases

I'm planning on partial grain. I don't yet buy my ingredients in bulk. I'm only 2 batches into brewing, but I'm optimistic I can pull off a barleywine fairly soon. I don't have a recipe, but I'd like to do something similar to Victory Old Horizontal, and it will be a five gallon batch.

let's look at it this way...for 5 gallons of 1.100 wort you'll need 11-12 lbs of dry extract. For every pound of grain you include in your partial mash, remove ~0.5 lbs of extract (0.6 lbs if you want to be exact).

You'll probably use 4 ounces of hops - more or less depending on variety and recipe.

1 vial of liquid yeast if you make a starter; 3 vials if you don't.

At my LHBS an all extract bw would cost me on the order of:
12 lbs DME * $4 per pound --> $48
4 oz hops * $2 per ounce --> $8
1 vial of liquid yeast * $6 per vial --> $6
total = $62

every pound of extract I convert to grain saves me about $1 (my LHBS sells all grain at $1.80-something per pound)

I have a 12%+ ABV English Barleywine recipe that will run me under $30... It's all grain, using grain from the area group buy that happened about a month ago. Also using some additional specialty grains that I picked up online, and hops that I got via Farmhouse Brewing Supply (LHBS charges $3/oz for pellet hops :eek:)... Using harvested yeast, cost will be ~$22... If I get new yeast, ~$30... OG is estimated to be about 1.130, depending on how well I mash... With my new cooler MT, I'm not too concerned, since it probably will be just over 1/2 full with 27# of grain in it...

I plan to brew this after getting a few more mashes through the new MT... That way I should have a better idea of what to expect... So probably within 2 months I'll be brewing a barleywine... Hope it's at least bottled before fall.

Recipe I used (havent tried it yet so I dont really wanna post, but it should give you an idea of price) ran me about 45 bucks, it's about 11% abv, and so far seems to be going well.

Depends what you call barleywine. I tend to consider 12% strong ale.

If you are shooting toward the 20% mark with partial mash you are looking at about $85

All grain at 21% $65 for
http://byo.com/component/resource/article/51-21-alcohol-all-grain-beer

Even $85 isn't terrible at that kind of strength since it will net you over a gallon of pure alcohol which would be roughly equal to 5 handles of booze.

Thanks, everybody. These estimates are encouraging. I would have been ready to pay $100 or more, so I really like the prices I'm seeing from you guys.

Depends what you call barleywine. I tend to consider 12% strong ale.

If you are shooting toward the 20% mark with partial mash you are looking at about $85

All grain at 21% $65 for
http://byo.com/component/resource/article/51-21-alcohol-all-grain-beer

Even $85 isn't terrible at that kind of strength since it will net you over a gallon of pure alcohol which would be roughly equal to 5 handles of booze.

Barley wines tend to be in the 8-12% range. Anything higher than that and you're into "specialty" or "experimental" categories. 20% or more is certainly out of style for a bw - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php

Barleywine is in style 19, which IS "Strong Ale"...

Even a sack braggot (26b) is only in the 14-18% ABV range... Mead rarely goes above that range too, but some can go up to ~21%. Beyond that, I believe it's more of a spirit or something else (mutant?)...

So it's really now what WE call a barleywine, since the style is actually defined... Now, if you want to make an uber-barleywine, or extreme barleywine, that's fine too... Just be sure to add something extra to the descriptor, since it won't be within the standard style guidelines..

Back