barleywine cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutrvr32208

Reaction score
My first barleywine and I'm wondering if it will ever clear up for bottling?
I just racked again after 14 days in secondary. I'm hoping it will start to clear.
Any feed back on this???

I guarantee that when this barleywine is ready to drink in 12 months it will be completely crystal clear. No worries.

Although I would let it bulk age in the carboy for another 8-10 weeks as well.

that's another question, I've read that a minimum 6 months aging for barleywine, but some commercial brews are less than 3 months. Are they that gready? Or is it really ready to drink?

I thought about tasting a bottle every month or so after bottling.

that's another question, I've read that a minimum 6 months aging for barleywine, but some commercial brews are less than 3 months. Are they that gready? Or is it really ready to drink?

I thought about tasting a bottle every month or so after bottling.

If you are serious about this big honking beer...I wouldn't even think about touching it for a year....don't waste bottles "tasting it" It will be 10 times better in a year than in 3 or 6 months...Just know that and leave it alone and plan on being rewarded with great beer.

When you're playing with something big like that just that time do it's thing.

Lazyllama came up with a great guide to when something will be ready....

chart.jpg

well, that's as simple as it gets! I'll bottle and hide it for a year. I might have to hide it in a house other than mine...

Terrapinchef bottled his barleywine in some old coke bottles. Kinda short stocky oldschool bottles. He has talked about nailing his up in little wooden crates, that he would have to destroy in order to get to them. He figured that would be a great way to avoid temptation while it ages..

Back