Barleywine additions - ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banks412

Reaction score
I recently ordered a couple of 1 gal kits from Northern Brewer to play around with and try some different beer styles in limited quantity before deciding to brew a full 5 gallon batch. I started out with their new 1 gal. barleywine kit - everything went well and I'm finishing up primary now. Due to the very large yeast cake at the bottom, I thought I'd rack it to another 1 gal jug and let it sit for a while because I've read that barleywine can take some time to mature.

Having said that, does anyone have experience with adding anything fun or interesting to a barleywine from an ingredient perspective that would enhance it or improve it's character? I'm open to just about anything at this point, even just leaving it the heck alone. But, since this is a small batch, I thought it might be a good time to try something. Coffee beans? Maybe some dark chocolate or cocoa? I dunno....

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Cinnamon, vanilla bean, clove. Go real easy on the clove!! A little bit goes a loooong way!!! :)

Wood? Would I use oak cubes maybe? Oak cubes soaked first in Jack Daniels! That would be interesting...

Cinnamon and vanilla beans - that sounds real interesting. Any idea on proportions?

For one gallon? One stick of cinnamon, one vanilla bean and 1/4 of a ground up clove. Or no clove. Can't say enough how a little clove goes big lol

Well if I add fruit guess what I WON'T be doing to it? Boiling it! Oh man....long story.

Raspberries Do sound intriguing, and I don't even like them that much.

Decisions, decisions.....

+1 for oak cubes. I just bottled one that spent some time on oak cubes that had been soaked in a nice rum. Tasted great at bottling!

Back