Barley Wine Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanderfell

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding medium toast oak cubes that have been soaking in knob creek to the carboy for the final month of three months of aging, then adding brewcraft blackberry extract at bottling.

Does anyone see any issues here? Also, do I need to do something to the extract beforehand? Or maybe should I add the extract to the bourbon so it is "sanitized?"

Well personally, I don't know that the idea of an oaked blueberry barleywine sounds too appealing, especially if it's highly hopped. But that doesn't mean it won't work, I just can't get my head around both those flavors.

An oaked barleywine is a given. A blueberry bareywine could either be disgusting, OR awesome like a strong blueberry brandy, if you get the balance right (I would run tests. I would pull a measured sample (like 6 ounces) and get a graduated medicine dropper and add a couple MLS at a time until you got the balance right, then calculate the scale upwards for the whole batch.

Since the grav of a barleywine is high, you should be safe, especially since if it's an unopened bottle of extract it will be "sanitary."

If you have to crack it to do tests, I would sanitize the eyedropper, and not leave the bottle opened too long.

Sounds intriguing.... I might consider doing a tiny i gallon barleywine to turn into a blueberry cordial.

Well personally, I don't know that the idea of an oaked blueberry barleywine sounds too appealing, especially if it's highly hopped. But that doesn't mean it won't work, I just can't get my head around both those flavors.

An oaked barleywine is a given. A blueberry bareywine could either be disgusting, OR awesome like a strong blueberry brandy, if you get the balance right (I would run tests. I would pull a measured sample (like 6 ounces) and get a graduated medicine dropper and add a couple MLS at a time until you got the balance right, then calculate the scale upwards for the whole batch.

Since the grav of a barleywine is high, you should be safe, especially since if it's an unopened bottle of extract it will be "sanitary."

If you have to crack it to do tests, I would sanitize the eyedropper, and not leave the bottle opened too long.

Sounds intriguing.... I might consider doing a tiny i gallon barleywine to turn into a blueberry cordial.

In my defense, I am aiming for Blackberry, not blueberry. Blueberry sounds a little horrid to be honest.

In my defense, I am aiming for Blackberry, not blueberry. Blueberry sounds a little horrid to be honest.

oops, missread it, I think it still might clash with the oak.. but the only way to know is to try.

You could split the batch, oak half (which you know will be good) tweak the other batch, then test blend some.. but even if you just do it, experiments are what this to me is all about.

Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

oops, missread it, I think it still might clash with the oak.. but the only way to know is to try.

You could split the batch, oak half (which you know will be good) tweak the other batch, then test blend some.. but even if you just do it, experiments are what this to me is all about.

Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

The reason I say this is there is a blackberry barley wine from new Belgium that is great, but it has no Oak. But I am thinking I may need to settle on one flavor or the other. I may just do the oak cubes soaked in a cup of bourbon and leave it at that, I know those are pretty good. Maybe dump that in for the last month.

Back