Barley Crusher - Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Used my Barley Crusher for the 1st time this past weekend and also got my first stuck sparge. Related? Talk to me about how your do your run offs, slow? Fast?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I can.. I've just read that most use it at the factory settings with great results?? I can certainly try that though..

(btw, I haven't checked the factory settings to see what they are, just going by what others have said)

Yeah I can.. I've just read that most use it at the factory settings with great results?? I can certainly try that though..

(btw, I haven't checked the factory settings to see what they are, just going by what others have said)

Had no issue with my BC factory setting (.039") when using it the first time. I will be using it again at the start of next week with my own MLT cooler so we'll have to see how that goes.

Give this a try. You can have the best of both worlds - easy lautering and a fine crush for good efficiency.

Winner winner chicken dinner, that works great and will keep your mill dust free. You really should have checked the settings before using it, I believe it's supposed to be .039, mine is at .038 and never a problem. You may need to just slow your vorlaufing down to set the grain bed.

Used my Barley Crusher for the 1st time this past weekend and also got my first stuck sparge. Related? Talk to me about how your do your run offs, slow? Fast?

I never changed mine either, and have had no problems. Probably not the crush that is causing the problem.

I've made two batches of beer since I got my BC a few weeks ago. I kept factory settings. First batch made with it was an APA and had no problems; got 75% efficiency. Second batch was this past Sunday, it was a Belgian Wit with 50% flaked wheat and it was the first stuck sparge I had to date. I ended up getting 80% efficiency that time. I blame the wheat for the stuck sparge, not the BC. I knew should've used rice hulls as soon as it happened. My runoffs typically aren't too slow or too fast, takes about 3-5 minutes for each runoff.

I would say it would depend on what the recipe was? If you dont think it was recipe-related, then maybe you could look into other options like widening the gap or conditioning the grain.

If you were confident it was the recipe, brew something simple and see if it happens again

I was thinking that a stuck mash/sparge would have more to do with the grains/ingredients being used than the mill.

I'm going to give malt conditioning a try with a future batch (probably not the one coming up)... Will be easier once I've moved to a new place and don't need to brew someplace else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKJPRf0oXU

Could be many different factors. Obviously, the tighter crush of your new mill can contribute to it but I would look at doing some other things first before you adjust settings (you mentioned 75% efficiency and that is exactly what I get with my setup with no stuck sparges). Things to think about include:
- What are your sparge temps? Does it settle out at 165-168?
- You can condition your malt as previously stated
- You can throw in a handful or two of rice hulls directly into your mash
- Start your sparge slow and leave it that way until your grain bed is settled. Once it has settled, you can let it run off faster.

When I first got my barley crusher I used it with the factory settings and got a stuck mash. The first time I was able to get it unstuck by stirring and adding hot water. The second time it happened I had to transfer the mash to my kettle and clean out false bottom and valve. After that I made the gap setting wider; I think I am around .042. And I get around 80 to 84% efficiency depending on how fast I sparge.

Mine BC was a little flaky when I first got it (turned out to be off on one end) so I got a feeler guage and set it at .28 just for fun and tried it out.

With my MLT (Fly Guy's version) no problems. I start slow, set the grain bed, and then let her move a little faster. Never had a stuck sparge. Now be aware thats with the braid not the false bottom.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input! As soon as I get a chance I'll get a gauge and check the gap and go from there.. Probably will try conditioning the malt on my next batch.. been trying to read all I can about it and it definitely sounds like it improves the crush and sometimes efficiency as well !!

I must be crazy....... I have my bc dialed in at .028" and no stuck sparges..........

I use 2-row as my base malt so maybe that is why I do not suffer stuck sparges. My last recipe was based off Black Pearl Porter and had 12lbs of 2-row, 2 lbs Munich and one lb each of crystal, chocolate and oats. I fly sparge with a false bottom too and average 85 eff, so I must be doing something right. I stir up my grainbed at mashout and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then I start vorlofing slow and within a quart, I have clear runnings.

I range between .028" to .030" depending on the grain bill. I condition as well, and get 87% efficency.

I have never had a stuck sparge, but that may be because I drain slower than others, I figure I'm in no hurry when I'm brewing, so why try to speed it up and risk compacting the grain bed to the point that it sticks.

Back