Barking Spider Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayviewBob

Reaction score
Barking Spider Cider

Ingredients:

5 Gallons 100% apple juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top
2 cans of frozen apple concentrate, Tree Top again.
1 five gram packet of Lalvin #EC-1118 Champagne Wine Yeast.

1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
2. Pour all but one quart of the mixture of apple juice and concentrate into the carboy.
3. Open the packet of Lalvin yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
4. Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks.
5. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with water or cheap vodka.
6. Leave in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks. Then bottle or keg.
7. Age for 1 month to 1 year or longer.

This variation of apfelwein turned out great. The only thing I might do is add more apple concentrate. I didn't add dextrose because it ferments out so much as it is, alcohol is not a problem. I wanted to get more apple flavor so went with the concentrate. Works good.

On my next batch I think I will add honey also. One more can of concentrate and a pound of local honey. I will let you know how it turns out.

Bob

I like the name! You might want to wait till your cider clears & take a couple SG readings before you bottle, otherwise you'll end up with excess sediment in the bottles & without knowing the SG/FG, you run the risk of bottlebombs. Regards, GF.

I like the name! You might want to wait till your cider clears & take a couple SG readings before you bottle, otherwise you'll end up with excess sediment in the bottles & without knowing the SG/FG, you run the risk of bottlebombs. Regards, GF.

I was going to keg it, so bottles bombs won't be an issue. Also I let it ferment out for over a month.

Latest posts

Back