Barkeepers Friend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinop

Reaction score
Cleaned up my ss boil kettle yesterday after brewing. I scorched the bottom last year & just generally needed a thorough cleaning as I usually just wash it Oxyclean after brewing. Have used the liquid Barkeepers Friend on our glass top stove in the past but for the boil kettle I bought the powder. It took a little elbow grease, a sponge & about 15 minutes, now my kettle shines like a new one. Great product!!!

Agreed. I use it on my SS cookware and now my boil kettle as needed.

This stuff is fantastic. I impressed my wife by scrubbing a burned SS pot for her using Barkeepers Friend. She was ready to toss the pot. She loved it.

Unfortunately, she expects me scrub out the pots whenever they burn now.

No good deed goes unpunsihed. :D

This stuff is fantastic. I impressed my wife by scrubbing a burned SS pot for her using Barkeepers Friend. She was ready to toss the pot. She loved it. Unfortunatley, she now expects me scrub out the pots whenever they burn. :D

lol oops!

What are you using to scrub with? I have some REALLY stubborn spillover 'viens' down my SS kettle I'd love to remove. I have liquid BKF.

I polish the stainless doors of our fridge, dishwasher, and stove with BKF, powder version. It's the only product that actually removes the drips and stains and returns the brand new look. Any other product I've tried (e.g., Weiman SS polisher spray) is just too wimpy and literally doesn't "cut" it.

BKF contains a good percentage of oxalic acid to which I attribute its stainless polishing and cleaning power.

A guy in the foundry used to sell oxalic acid to clean the foundry stack fallout of your car's paint. But we were always warned it wasn't good for plastic.

What are you using to scrub with? I have some REALLY stubborn spillover 'viens' down my SS kettle I'd love to remove. I have liquid BKF.

I use a sponge that has a coarse side to it...can't think of the names of them but they are blue. I never tried the liquid bkf on my kettle just the powder. I don't know if it would make a difference.

Back