Bare ground wire in control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumulusHead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All

Is it OK to use bare ground wire instead of jacketed ground wire for the ground wire I need in my control panel?

I ask because I plan on using my leftover wiring from wiring up my electrical outlet in my garage. Seems to be a good use for the leftover wire

Sound ok?

Side note, can I use either solid or stranded wiring in my CP?

Depending on how complicated and packed the inside of your control box is, there could be a lot of potential for short circuit using a bare wire. I would not do it, and doubt anyone else here would recommend it.

For the other wiring, I would definitely use stranded wire. Solid wire is tough to work with, especially so in the tight quarters of a control panel. Stranded is far more flexible and easier to control for this purpose.

Awesome, that sounds good!

I am going to get me some jacketed wire, should be able to still use the rest of the wiring.

I am going to attempt to use some solid wiring I have, but it sounds like I may want to invest in some stranded ha

Thanks!!

Depending on how you plan on terminating the various parts of your circuits, solid would be okay for short jumpers and such, but for longer runs or routes, stranded is best. Also beware that repeated bending/working of solid will stress the conductor, potentially weakening it. It's really meant to be worked once into place, and not subjected to constant movement or reworking.

Most local hardware and big box home improvement centers will sell you stranded wire by the foot, so just figure out how much you need of each color and gauge . . . you can always go back for more if needed . . . No need to make a huge investment.

Back