Bar Top Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, an update. I've been picking up additional hardware here and there as it went on clearance, and just received the last of my Black Friday / Cyber Monday acquisitions yesterday (the last of what I needed for my nitro tap). Attached are some photos of the current setup. I put in my soda line (tied to a 3 gal keg on the hump; running a root beer recipe that I've been tweaking). I also installed the stout faucet, tied to a nitro tank on the hump. My wife had found someone with a bunch of spike antlers; I picked up some hardware at the local hardware store and got them threaded on (although we'll probably rework the one on the stout faucet when we get a chance). I also set up a small chalkboard tap list (just sits on rubber feet), which also acts as a bit of a guard against folks sliding stuff across the bar and knocking taps open.

So the build is pretty much complete. I still want to mount a 3-way secondary regulator inside (and possibly move the 20 lb CO2 tank outside), but that'll be later next year. For now, there are football and hockey games to watch!

Very nice build and someone has some excellent cursive skills as well.

That would be SWMBO, the force behind this whole project ;)

You married well sir! :mug:

My SWMBO is not nearly as involved in my, ahem, hobby, although she is understanding. My kegerator is in our dining room after all. :D I am sure if I were to take on a project of this magnitude, she would put her indelible stamp on it as well, and I am totally OK with that. ;)

I know I have said it before, but this is really well done. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I would be. :tank:

I thought I'd post some pics of my just-completed keezer. I didn't find a lot of examples of what I was wanting to do when I was planning this, so maybe this will give some folks inspiration. I was looking to build something bar-height (42"), with a large finished bartop surface with room for 6 bar stools around 3 sides. I wanted this to be free-standing, and wanted it to be the centerpiece of the basement renovation. I think we nailed it. Let me know if there are any questions, comments, observations.

Hello,

I want to do something like this but haven’t come up with what to use for the bar top. How do you get inside the keeze? Could you share a couple pics?

If you scroll up through the thread, there were a number of different photos posted; but here's a couple showing how it's set up. The collar is two separate assemblies: the lower half are 2x4s and stay fixed on the freezer (the freezer hinges are just used to attach: they don't pivot at all); the upper half are 2x6s (with dense foam weather stripping to seal) and is attached using a basic set of door hinges. I used a gas piston 'bed lift kit' I had picked up on clearance from Camping World (usually used to help lift the bed up to get to storage underneath). Those provide more than enough lift (almost too much) to keep the bar top lifted up to get to the kegs.

Attachments

• 20160508_073732.jpg
    20160508_073732.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 250
  • 20160508_073751.jpg
    20160508_073751.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 20160508_073851.jpg
    20160508_073851.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 239
...went with a 2-part epoxy resin pour for the bar top.

View attachment 353519

What did you use to prevent the epoxy from dripping down the sides? I have a flat (no-sided) top that I want to do the same thing to, but can't see to figure out how to prevent epoxy from running off the side. Afterall, I will only get one shot at it, lol.

That's beautiful, I'm still working on my acquisition of the necessary bits and bobs.
I adore that beetle kill pine, gorgeous stuff. Well done.

What did you use to prevent the epoxy from dripping down the sides? I have a flat (no-sided) top that I want to do the same thing to, but can't see to figure out how to prevent epoxy from running off the side. Afterall, I will only get one shot at it, lol.

You don't prevent it from dripping down the sides, typically. You want it to flow over the edges to get a level top, but there is a trick to managing when it breaks over the edge. The best way to handle it is to put drip paper/plastic down around the edges (if they overhang) or mask off the verticle walls if they don't.

I'm no expert to be sure, but you can see a lot of how-tos on this on the Tube. StoneCoat Countertops, for example, has a lot of how-to videos that would apply to most any epoxy system.

You don't prevent it from dripping down the sides, typically. You want it to flow over the edges to get a level top, but there is a trick to managing when it breaks over the edge. The best way to handle it is to put drip paper/plastic down around the edges (if they overhang) or mask off the verticle walls if they don't.

I'm no expert to be sure, but you can see a lot of how-tos on this on the Tube. StoneCoat Countertops, for example, has a lot of how-to videos that would apply to most any epoxy system.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back